Microsoft Authenticator App in China? RRS feed

• Question

• Based on this post in the TechNet community, it seems the Microsoft Authenticator app may not work in China due to a dependency on the Google Play Store. Is this true? If not, how should our employees in China download the app? If it doesn't work, is there any way to receive notifications for identity verification?

David

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:14 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

Microsoft Authenticator app works fine in China.

That post talk about how to download that APP, if your phone is IOS, we can install this app in app store.

If your phone is Android, we can try to install this app from your phone store(for example, MI store or others), if your phone store does not have this app, we should download if from Google Play Store.

Best regards,

Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:15 AM
  • Hi Jason, thanks for your reply. We have tried stores such as MI (http://app.mi.com/searchAll?keywords=microsoft+authenticator&typeall=phone) but are unable to find the Microsoft Authenticator app. Could you provide a link to the genuine Authenticator app in a store accessible in China? (Google Play is not accessible in China according to our personnel there).

David

Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:47 PM
  • Hi David,

Sorry, I can't find where to download this APP in official website in China.

As a workaround, we can search "微软登陆验证" in your browser.

By the way, if we can't connect to Google Play, we can't update this app automatically, we have to download the newest version manually.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 13, 2017 7:34 AM
  • Hi David,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Jason

Monday, October 30, 2017 6:04 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for following up. We've had a chance to have people in China try to install/use the Authenticator app. Here is what we've found in our experiments:

1. The app available as of Oct 2017 in Android stores other than Google Play is not the latest version.
    2. The Authenticator App seems to require Google Play Services which was not present on our test phones (and not downloadable given that Google Play is blocked in China).
    3. We side-loaded the current version of the Authenticator app and ran into the Google Play Services issue.

We are hopeful that the Authenticator app will be officially supported in mainstream China app stores at some point (MI, Tencent, etc.). Until then, we're stuck with SMS it seems.

Thanks,

David

David

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:40 PM
  • Hi DavidJE,

Thank you for your feedback.

You could give your feedback to this link, all of the feedback you share in this link will be monitored and reviewed by Microsoft engineering teams.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c0c10232-3093-4cf9-9ecc-c131c7643eaa/give-us-your-feedback?forum=MicrosoftAuthenticatorApp

Best regards,

Jason

Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:14 AM
  • I am somewhat frustrated by the lack of adequate communication from Microsoft regarding the MFANPS extension and the whole MFA experience in general. It seems that whenever you guys update the MFANPS extension it will break the phone call back authentication method. While this may not seem like a huge problem, it in fact is for every single user in China since you have never made the phone app compatible for Android users. The fact that you have ignored this issue for this long is not inspiring much hope. The app as it stands today requires Google Play services, you need to either make a version that works with whatever Play service is available in China or make it not dependent on any. This is clearly false advertising as the app does not work as advertised. Using text messaging is unacceptable form a security standpoint which leaved us with Phone call or app. Fix this issue -thank you.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:29 PM
  • Confirmed as of March 2019, this issue still persists on the Android mobile limitation for China.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:20 AM
    1. hi,,I got the app on the net, I search "Microsoft Authenticator App"on bing,but when I sign in ,it goes something wrong,I can not sign in,Please give me a hand ~~~~~~My Big Microsoft!!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:17 AM