DPM Agent installation fails RRS feed

• Question

•      I'm having trouble installing the dpm agent on my host box, a Dell R710.  This box runs Win 2008 R2 Std.  Initially I trid to push the agent out to this box from our DPM server.  I get error 346.  So I turned off the firewall on both and also tried to install the agent manually.  When I try to attach the agent I now get error 31144, which indicates the target server is not in AD.  I can ping the DPM and target servers so I assume DNS is working properly.  I have also tried using Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 from the DPM shell.  Still can't get this to install.

Any ideas?

Jeff King

Monday, August 13, 2012 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To be sure DNS is working properly, try these steps.

Try running nslookup <FQDN>   (Of the domain for list of DC IP addresses)

IE: nslookup MyDomain.com

On the Server(s) try these to reset / troubleshoot DNS issues:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    net stop netlogon
    net start netlogon

1.) From SERVER:

nslookup
    set q=any
    <dc_name> then try <dpm_name>
    exit

2.) Then from DPM:

nslookup
    server <dns ip address>
    set q=any
    <dc_name> then try <dpm_name>
    exit

Are the ip's correct?

Next download DSQUERY.EXE and see if the machine can be read from Active Directory

dsquery computer domainroot -name <computer_name>
    dsquery computer -name <computer_name>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:40 AM
  • Ok, did all this except the dsquery, I could not find it on the MS downlaod site.  NSlookup gives the correct IP's on both the server and DPM box.  Still the same problem.  Any thing else I can try?

Jeff

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

It's included in the below tools, but not sure if these versions run on windows 2008, but give it a whirl.

298882 The new command-line tools for Active Directory in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;298882

Download Windows Server 2003 Administration Tools Pack:
     http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c16ae515-c8f4-47ef-a1e4-a8dcbacff8e3&displaylang=en

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:29 PM