Failed to remove apps for the current user: 0x80073cf2 RRS feed

• Question

• So I installed MDT and ADK, installed a base image of Win10 Pro, installed all the apps I needed, then went to take a capture and sysprep failed. Here's the setuperr log

2017-11-28 14:19:10, Error                 SYSPRP Package Microsoft.BingNews_4.21.2212.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe was installed for a user, but not provisioned for all users. This package will not function properly in the sysprep image.

2017-11-28 14:19:10, Error                 SYSPRP Failed to remove apps for the current user: 0x80073cf2.

2017-11-28 14:19:10, Error                 SYSPRP Exit code of RemoveAllApps thread was 0x3cf2.

2017-11-28 14:19:10, Error      [0x0f0082] SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule: Failure occurred while executing 'SysprepGeneralizeValidate' from C:\Windows\System32\AppxSysprep.dll; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2017-11-28 14:19:10, Error                 SYSPRP SysprepSession::Validate: Error in validating actions from C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ActionFiles\Generalize.xml; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2017-11-28 14:19:10, Error                 SYSPRP RunPlatformActions:Failed while validating SysprepSession actions; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2017-11-28 14:19:10, Error      [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2017-11-28 14:19:10, Error      [0x0f00d8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while pre-validate sysprep generalize internal providers; hr = 0x80073cf2

It seems to be an issue that has happened before, for a while now. I've read some of the fixes that do not seem to work, without breaking something else, but why should I have to jump through hoops when it was a Microsoft installed problem? This is just really poor customer service. One of your Noobs created a Appx package incorrectly and then you pushed it out to the world. Why don't you fix it Microsoft? BTW, your software scanned my network without my permission, saw my Toshiba printers, then also installed Toshiba updates that are also misconfigured, and install the same way a Bing News.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:40 PM

All replies

• most of the issues with Sysprep in Windows 10 are related to Windows apps being updated in the background. This should set you up: https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/615/Fixing-why-Sysprep-fails-in-Windows-10-due-to-Windows-Store-updates

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:22 PM
  • It's better to remove unwanted apps before start capture process.

Reference link: http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2016/03/01/remove-built-in-apps-when-creating-a-windows-10-reference-image/

Friday, December 8, 2017 6:44 AM
  • I prefer the scripts included in these repositories.  They offer more functionality than uninstalling the built-in apps.

https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10

https://github.com/bmrf/tron

-BrianG (http://supportishere.com)

Monday, December 11, 2017 7:16 PM
  • You should delete all profiles before running SYSPREP.  The only profiles that should be in your WIM is Administrator and Default.
    • Proposed as answer by StanYarbrough Monday, December 17, 2018 6:39 PM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Thanks for the info, but everybody is missing the point. A Microsoft NOOB pushed out a mis-configured appx package to the world, and refuses to fix it. Instead, they make us jump through hoops like a circus pig, wasting our valuable time, all because they do not want to fix it. This is a customer hostile attitude.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:18 PM
  • I disagree. I built a reference image based upon 1709 yesterday and it all worked without a hitch. All you need to do is to ensure that the app store does not update apps in the background. I understand your frustration and there is indeed the necessity to jump through hoops but please keep in mind that there is a simple workaround for your issue I linked above.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 8:10 PM
  • You should delete all profiles before running SYSPREP.  The only profiles that should be in your WIM is Administrator and Default.
    This is correct.  Login as the local admin and delete all other users and profiles.  
    Monday, December 17, 2018 6:40 PM
  • I got the same problem on simple sysprep operation

Workaround was PS command to remove this AppX for user:

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingNews* | Remove-AppxPackage

I have to remove 2 packages, after that my sysprep operation finished succesfully

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 10:41 AM
  • This is the correct answer...
    Friday, March 29, 2019 7:06 PM
  • I looked all over the place for this solution, and thank goodness I found it here. I can confirm this last post is the correct answer. Just remember whatever your appx(s) is that shows in the log, only use the appx name followed by an asterisk as in the command above. The log will show the app name followed by version number and other characters. Replace all characters after the appx name with the asterisk. This may be obvious to many, but I had to think about it a bit...  Thank you so much for saving my image build!!!!
    Thursday, March 19, 2020 2:22 AM