Driver fails to install- PRO/1000 PL Network Connection RRS feed

• Question

• At the beginning of June, a new Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection driver appeared on autoupdate but I could not install it. The date has changed to 16 July (another new driver??) but this also fails to install with error code 80070103.

I have v9.12.36.0 4/12/2008 installed at present. the PRO/wireless 3945ABG driver is v.12.2.0.11 17/11/2008- the two seem to have compatibility issues (VISTA crashed on if you switch of the WLAN to save battery)

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Will VISTA EVER work?

I have VISTA business running SP2 and is fully updated except for this optional driver.

Friday, July 17, 2009 8:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Based on my experience, error code 80070103 indicates that the driver you are trying to install is already installed on your computer or that has a lower compatibility rating than you already have installed. All drivers that are available from Windows Update are actually provided by the equipment manufacturer. I recommend that you check with the Intel website to make sure that this driver is the latest one. If the driver is updated, you can disregard this message.

For more information, please refer to the following website.

Windows Update error 80070103

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e5f5a9a7-dfeb-46c4-4345-ce26afedabcd1033.mspx

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Monday, July 20, 2009 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Based on my experience, error code 80070103 indicates that the driver you are trying to install is already installed on your computer or that has a lower compatibility rating than you already have installed. All drivers that are available from Windows Update are actually provided by the equipment manufacturer. I recommend that you check with the Intel website to make sure that this driver is the latest one. If the driver is updated, you can disregard this message.

For more information, please refer to the following website.

Windows Update error 80070103

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e5f5a9a7-dfeb-46c4-4345-ce26afedabcd1033.mspx

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Monday, July 20, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Hi, yes I read the error code before I posted.

I have v9.12.36.0 installed but INTEL does not post individual driver versions on their website, instead they issue update packs, the latest being dated 25 June 2009. My drivers are from Dec 2008 and it is VISTA update that is trying to bring a new version in- surely it detects previously installed versions before offering an upgrade? The Wifi driver issued at the same time installed without problem.

Another great VISTA mystery.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:33 AM
  • This morning I received an alert for a defender update and a new Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection driver. Both updates have release yesterday. Defender installs but the PRO/1000 driver fails again with error 80070103.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:11 AM