Send e-mail to Analyst on Assign or Re-assign. RRS feed

• Question

• From what I've seen, SCSM 2012 is not capable of sending an Analyst an e-mail when they are assigned or re-assigned to an IR or SR. This is a crucial function to let people know they've acutally been assigned to do work.

I've read through a few of the custom type solutions, but either I'm just not understanding what is required, or it doesn't meet the objective of what I want to do, and requires identifying a template by its GUID, and hardcoding that into the XML. This seems way to cumbersome and time consuming just to get a very basic function to work.

The scenario that I am tyring to accomplish is this:

A ticket is created and a Helpdesk technician assigns themself to the ticket, or I as the manager assign someone to the ticket. They will get an e-mail as the assigned to person on creation.

Now that ticket needs to be escalated to our server team. Someone is assigned to the ticket by their manager, but they get no notification. I'd like them to get a notification, but also send a different template based on our 5 priority levels, which have color coded tables that indicate ticket priority:

Pri 1 - Red

Pri 2 - Orange

Pri 3 - Green

Pri 4 - Green

Pri 5 - Blue

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

A lot of people including myself have already created the XML file, all you need to do is run a SQL query to get the GUID.

This is the only way that a re-assignment can be processed.

SR - http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Service-Request-Re-8fbe31a1

INC - here is one that pretty much handles the rest - http://scsmsource.blogspot.com/2011/04/work-item-assignmentreassignment.html

As for the "escalation", you can setup workflows that can apply different templates (for the work items) and different notification templates.

F.

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:40 PM
  • So basically based on what is available I can't create workflows or subscriptions to do what I'd like. Hopefully in an update in the future we'll see this funciton built in, as it seems like it should be a critical part to any ticketing system.

I'll probably implement the solutions that you mention above and just stick to a single template for now. Thanks for the advice!

• Proposed as answer by Guy Shepperd Friday, January 18, 2013 3:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Guy Shepperd Friday, January 18, 2013 3:21 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Marcel,

I have been working on this most of today, I finally have it working.

I am using the Exchange connector to create the tickets.

Then using a workflow, on ticket creation,  I check the Title (subj) of the email, look to see if it equals or contains the words I am looking for. I then assign it a template, that already has the person assigned.

Then I have a subscription that is looking at the assigned to: field on update. and if it is assigned to me, it applies an email template that notifies the assigned to person.

Two things that had me stumped for awhile (I might be slow) is that I had created queues that dynamically assigned it to the appropriate queue, the one I missed was the catch all, what if it doesn't match anything, so I made a catch all queue.

So when I updated the supscription, to look on update, and selected all queues, now it fired off correctly.  This also works when it is re-assigned from one person to another, because the assigned to: is updated .

the second part that I had trouble with was making it alert if it hit a time threshold, to send another email.

I finally figured this out with a subscription, that used the created date is less than or equal to [now-4h].

(other catch I had to do was add was criteria that status equaled active, or you get all incidents even the closed ones....figured that after 2000 emails :) )

I had to write it out on a white board to make it make sense, but it does when you do the math. Now it reminds the assigned to of anything with an urgency of HIGH after 4 ours and each hour after until it is resolved.

Hope that helps,

Guy Shepperd

(forgot to add, I am on SP!)

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:31 AM
  • It's not possible through the console because there's simply no proper value to set in changed from changed to. What could be a solution in the future, was to extend the number of key tokens already existing, e.g. [me] . Have an [assignedto] and others. That would make it all so much easier
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:17 PM