system boot logics, boot files, initialization. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There!

I've been for some weeks with this situation: Unable to boot in windows 7 , or fix boot files using any popular solution that is out there.

I've even begun studying the logics of how boot happens to recreate missing/corrupted boot files. This is the aim.

• How I got there? I'm having HP-MINI-200 , an old laptop. In order to install windows 7 starter back on the clean, formatted HDD, I had to use so called silent install (using ImageX tool). So I did! Managed this from an external HDD's live win8.1. All good, but my windows 7 is boot-able only through the external HDD, which had this windows 8.1 live on.
    • so insted of fixing that! I messed everything up as well as possible
      • I'm sure there is no valid store file
      • Do not know what is with mbr - it is kinda fixed
      • windows 7 setup usb recovery tool even does not discover that there is an installed windows.
      • might be something more .. run your diagnostics on me..
    • I squeezed an 200 MB partition in front of all this, as before windows 7 files begun with first bit of hard drive

I' hoping for someone who is comfortable with knowledge about things mentioned in title of this topic. I need to set right partitions active and bootable [?] rebuild MBR , rebuild store files and bind in a valid GUID somehow [?]

p.s I think only the beginning of boot logics is messed up .. somewhere, till kernel loads. Actually, I'm not smart, in these things, please help. What to do !?

//this is a repost, in order to reach professionals. My source post reference here, might contain a bit of useful information: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/system-boot-logics-boot-files-initialization/16d19f59-5676-424e-a75e-d2081cb9af17

thank you.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm that your main question is that Windows 7 fail to startup from you local HDD. If there is any misunderstanding, please post back to clarify with me.

Then for your question about MBR and the system reserved partition (100-200Mb), we don't need to care about that since it will be initialized when you format your HDD to install system automatically.

Based on current information that you can start Windows 7 if it was installed on an external HDD, I consider that the issue is related to your local HDD.

I suggestion you perform a format again when you start your PC from installation media via Diskpart command lines, then try to install Windows 7 again.

Let me know if it can be installed successfully.

If the system can be installed properly, but fail to startup, please let me know where it stops, the screenshot of that status would be helpful for use to determine your issue.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 22, 2014 9:44 AM
  • Hello, a light needs to be shaded.

Yes, windows7 fails to start from local HDD where it's located.

About 100 - 200 mb partition we took care already - I squeezed it there (in beginning of local HDD) after setup was process is done. BUT THIS setup was not being made automatically, in common sense - I made it using IMAGEX tool (kinda silent install, look it up), so system reserved partition has been made (if any) on external_HDD which held WIN8 LIVE.

Local HDD is held in hardware by model HP-mini-200. Local_HDD might be an issue, as casual WIN7 setup USB was unable to "[..]create system partition".

Reinstall is not an option. I've lived in that win7 (which is not bootable) for some time already. How i managed it? After performing IMAGEX setup, I was able to boot in Local Win7 through External_HDD (which held all the boot information necessary).

Is everything clear, or is there a need for any clarifying question more? So where do we begin from here? in order to boot win7(internal_HDD)..

Thanks.

Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:03 PM