none
Organize a project around a single task RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i have a question regarding the automatic planning of a Project i created. 

A while back i made a planning for a project that still had to start. However, I have been absent and the planning has not been used or updated since.

I now want to start using that planning again, while the project is running. I was wondering if I could set the date for a specific task (a task that starts today!), and let project recalculate all other tasks, those before, as those to come.

Once I start to set a startdate manually for this task, it does not recalculate the tasks that were linked to that specific task at an eralier point in time...

Anyone a clue?

• Edited by Philledan Monday, September 22, 2014 11:53 AM spelling
    Monday, September 22, 2014 11:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Indeed if you set your tasks to manually scheduled, moving a start date will not update the project plan accordingly. I'd strongly suggest in your case to work with automatically scheduled tasks.

That being said, if you correctly created dependencies (for example finish to start links) between tasks, if you update the first task that is going to show up, then your entire plan will be updated accordingly. Note that if you create your project plan with constraints, it will not be updated as you expect since constraints are "hard" dates settled on the tasks. That why we usually recommend to avoid setting date constraints unless it is required on purpose and use instead dependencies between tasks.

Another clue that I can give would be to set in the project information dialog box the project start date. Then the tasks will no predecessors and no constraints will be automatically set at this date. If you created correctly your project plan with dependencies, then you just have to update the project start date and your entire project plan will be updated as expected.

Please tell us if it correspond to your concern.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, September 22, 2014 12:25 PM