Word 2019 Data Link Properties issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document data linked to a SQL Server database.  On the client networked PC it just works, but open the same document on the PC where the template and database reside, and Word will wait for a bit, time-out then show the dialog box.  As though it can't connect to SQL Server.  But if you simply click OK and continue it works fine.

Via our app you get the following error: Word cannot open 17BAB538.odc as a data or header source because it contains no data.  My guess is that Word is trying to write the temp ODC file but can't, then thinks that it can't access the database which in turn shows the Data Link properties dialog box.  The only other thing that is weird/unique with this PC is the IT guy has created the current user profile as "Andrew 3"  note the space - not sure if this could be the cause.

Is there a way I can prove this?  Because it's also affecting the updating of the template file on this PC.  Like I said earlier, the same document on another PC it all works fine.  Clearly there is something specific to this installation on the problem PC but I need proof.

Monday, April 27, 2020 8:00 AM

All replies

• Word should be trying to link via an existing .odc file, not trying to create one. Has that .odc been copied to both machines? Is it in the same place?

There are a couple of ways you can try to find out what Word is *trying* to connect to or *has* connected to. As long as the Word doc is a .docx/.docm etc. (i.e. not the old ,doc format), you should be able to 

- make a copy of the .docx you are starting with

- rename it so it's a .zip. The information about the mailmerge data source is in two places...

- find the /word/settings.xml and open it (by default it will probably open in a browser

- look for the section that starts <w:mailMerge>. The connection info. Word is trying to use is stored in there (there are often two rather different copies. If you can copy/paste the contents of the following elements in a reply to this message it may provide a clue as to what is wrong. Best to remove any login security information before posting:

<w:connectString>
    <w:query>

and under <w:odso>,

<w:udl>
    <w:table>

The other piece of information is the filename (should be the .odc in this case) that Word is trying to use). There should be one or two names in /word/_rels/settings.xml.rels . Probably easier to post the entire content of settings.xml.rels here.

Peter Jamieson

Monday, April 27, 2020 11:12 AM
  • Hi Odonas,

Would you please provide us with an update on the status of your issue?

If there's anything you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.                

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.                

Friday, May 1, 2020 7:27 AM