App-V 5.0 SP2 Sequencing - FileZilla Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am having some issues when trying to sequence FileZilla Server. There are no issues during the sequencing, however when I test my package on a standalone client by installing it with the msi that App-V generated, I am having some problem. FileZilla Server services aren't be installed/detected, I am not sure how should I troubleshoot this, there is nothing in Event viewer. If I click on FileZillaServer.exe-->Troubleshoot, Windows will ask if I want to install FileZilla Service, if I install the required service, my App-V package will work, however that is not what I want. I want the package to install the service when I install it with the msi.

If I click on Package->Edit->Virtual Services tab, I see the service FileZilla Server FTP Server, I assume that's the service I need sequence/configure correctly in order for my package to work properly.

Does anyone has some tips on how to troubleshoot this? Or even better... a solution? :D

Thank you,
    • Edited by Panda_Tech Friday, February 7, 2014 9:33 PM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 9:31 PM

Answers

• Here's an info about the error code: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=930872

App-V is meant to virtualize _applications_, i.e. software that interacts with the user. So if your FileZilla service just sits silently in the background, App-V might conclude that something went wrong, because the process that has been started did not come up with a 'decent' user interface.

As others mentioned:

- a user needs to launch something in order to run an App-V application.

- a network service might not be a good acandidate for virtualization as it

-- might require admin privileges to launch at all

-- will bind to a certain IP port/protocol and fail if another user tries to launch the same app.

FileZilla Client is cool, FileZilla Service is not a good virtualization candidate.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, February 14, 2014 6:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Friday, February 21, 2014 8:53 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Does the event-logs indicate wether or not the service successfully started within the virtual Environment?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:50 PM
  • During Sequencing, the service was captured, which means that the service only starts upon execution of the virtual environment itself which requires a user to launch one of the applications. With that being said, it is a SERVER application in that it is trying to listen on a tcp service port. You may have to try disabling object and COM virtualization - BUT - with that being said - it may not work technically or logically if you want this running in the background. We have Server App-V virtualization for this exact use case.

You could also separate out the service and lay it down during publishing using a script. This would require global publishing of course.

Steve Thomas, Senior Consultant, Microsoft

App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/Server App-V/MDOP/AppCompat

http://blogs.technet.com/gladiatormsft/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”

Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:32 PM
  • @Nicke : The services aren't being installed properly on the client. When I try to start FileZilla Server, it just doesn't do anything, if I right-click->Troubleshoot, Windows will ask me if I want to install the FileZilla Server services.

@Steve: I'm still pretty new to App-V, so hearing about Server App-V is a new thing for me :) I will go do some homeworks and give you guys some news after.

Edit: Investigating logs.......
    • Edited by Panda_Tech Monday, February 10, 2014 2:17 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Here's a little update,

In my App-V logs, I'm seeing the two following errors:

• Service FileZilla Server failed to start due to error 1AA0222A-0000041D
    • Automatic SErvice FileZilla Server could not be started

I didn't found any solution to my problem, so as a temporay workaround, I sequenced FileZilla as non-service application. If anyone can shed some light regarding how exactly does virtual service works or how to debug them, I would be really thankful :D

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Hello,

You could try to troubleshoot the issue with;

1. Use Process Monitor to understand what the filezilla-service does when it starts up

2. Try to start it as a regular user

3. Create a seperated installer and deploy it natively

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Here's an info about the error code: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=930872

App-V is meant to virtualize _applications_, i.e. software that interacts with the user. So if your FileZilla service just sits silently in the background, App-V might conclude that something went wrong, because the process that has been started did not come up with a 'decent' user interface.

As others mentioned:

- a user needs to launch something in order to run an App-V application.

- a network service might not be a good acandidate for virtualization as it

-- might require admin privileges to launch at all

-- will bind to a certain IP port/protocol and fail if another user tries to launch the same app.

FileZilla Client is cool, FileZilla Service is not a good virtualization candidate.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, February 14, 2014 6:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Friday, February 21, 2014 8:53 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:41 PM
  • Thank you everyone for your answers. FileZilla Server is indeed a bad virtualization candidate, as of now, we'll keep FileZilla as a non virtualized application.
    Friday, February 14, 2014 2:21 PM