Word 2010 table sort disabled RRS feed

• Question

• I inserted a new table in a new document in Word 2010 with 3 columns and 5 rows. After populating the table, I tried selecting the table and wanted to use the Table Tools->Layout->Sort button. However, it looks like it's disabled for some reason. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:14 AM

Answers

• The Sort command should be available even if you select a table with no content at all, so this is a bit of a mystery.

Or are you saying that the whole Table Tools Layout tab is missing? In that case, something outside of the table, such as the paragraph mark following it, is included in the selection.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Tuesday, October 2, 2012 1:15 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:38 PM

All replies

• The Sort command should be available even if you select a table with no content at all, so this is a bit of a mystery.

Or are you saying that the whole Table Tools Layout tab is missing? In that case, something outside of the table, such as the paragraph mark following it, is included in the selection.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Tuesday, October 2, 2012 1:15 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:38 PM
  • One of my students had the same problem. Turns out she had inserted the table below the end notes of her document. When she moved the table above the end notes, the sort button enabled. At the very least, try moving your table to a new location.
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:44 PM