IE10 to IE11 wsus deployment fail on multiple machines RRS feed

• Question

• I have to deploy  IE11 over IE10 on Windows 7 64 bit machines from WSUS in large environment.

1. I did couple of tests on computers deployed from corporate image. It worked fine.

2. I pushed the IE11 KB to 30 computers. And have 80% installation failure.

3. The update is available in Windows update GUI and when clicking install now IE 11 installs and is fine after reboot.

4. in WSUS report

ie11 installation error from WSUS event 0x80070643

5. Here is the error from client WU.log

windows update agent
    2016-06-01 05:37:42:196 1216 bb4 Agent   * WU client version 7.6.7601.19161

5. The question is why manual update works? I saw some referring to Video Card driver issue.

I have a bad feeling in this case because there are multiple pc models on LAN.

Where should I start ?

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:39 PM

Answers

• > Deploying ie11 through WSUS is broken. It is not reliable as there are prerequisite update problems on WSUS, making the ie11 install temperamental. 

Agree... Just a little update.

As mentioned earlier after few successful tests I pushed IE11 to 30 machines of 1 site. On a next day just few were updated, other showed errors. Second day, few more showed success. In 5 days I had 6 machines with errors. So the others kind of "autorepaired".

So I continued uncertain experiment and added another batch of 50 machines to the group. I had 22 non successful and today I see 17.

Ideally, I would like to know/have a cure for the problem because I need to update IE11 on 16 sites and then main office. Today I will push update some new security updates so all machines should reboot. If failed and IE11 machines will not be repaired I will probably call MS if they will be fixed I can move forward knowing that eventually everything will be updated.

Thanks.

>

I have built a new windows 7 wim file with the ie11 and convenience update built in, follow this guide for that.

http://www.howtogeek.com/255540/the-last-windows-7-iso-youll-ever-need-how-to-slipstream-the-convenience-rollup/

this is another "thrill"...

I discussed W7 PRO update last week. Succeeded to make it work and understand what is going wrong with the help of Don Pick. I will create a new post for preventing W10 notif when updating corporate base image from Internet...

My thread with struggling to update fresh Windows 7 and using Convenience Pack.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/875a445a-aebd-4585-b880-69efc3d7ee41/windows-7-not-updates?forum=winserverwsus

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Friday, June 10, 2016 3:13 PM
  • Deploying ie11 through WSUS is broken. It is not reliable as there are prerequisite update problems on WSUS, making the ie11 install temperamental. 

I am going to deploy it through SCCM until windows 10 is ready for business use, which looking at the state of the gpo for windows 10 might never come.

Following this guide for deploying ie11 in sccm but instead use the .exe or msi to deploy it.

Also need post install updates in order to get the buggy enterprise mode to work, as ie11 essentially breaks about 80% of enterprise web based software.

Deploying ie11 is pathetic and I hate that we can't just use chrome or firefox because buggy enterprise web based software doesn't support it either.

http://prajwaldesai.com/deploy-internet-explorer-11-using-sccm-2012-r2/

That tool is very helpful, the one that prepackages all the prerequisite updates.

You might have better luck through WSUS, try approve all the prerequisite first then ie11 and the cumulative security updates.

Installing ie11 manually from the 55mbyte download can take 2 hours on some of my domain machines. Crazy.

I have built a new windows 7 wim file with the ie11 and convenience update built in, follow this guide for that.

http://www.howtogeek.com/255540/the-last-windows-7-iso-youll-ever-need-how-to-slipstream-the-convenience-rollup/

GG microsoft

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi pob579,

The most common cause for Error 0x80070643 may related with the .NET Framework installed on the computer.

Please check the following article and try the fixing method, check if it could work:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/976982

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 3, 2016 8:19 AM
  • Anne,

the fixes in the link refer to one (local) machine repair. I am talking about multiple machines.

As mentioned after couple of tests on machines with base enterprise image and seeing that IE11 installs without issues, I moved 30 machines in the group to which IE was approved.

first day just 7 computers were updated without problem. Others showed error. After one week I found that more computers properly installed IE11. So just 6 out of 30 have an error. Looks like they were able to "auto repair".

Today, I moved other 50 machines. I have nothing to lose as soon as there are no impact on end user's machine.

IE10 is functioning.

I will monitor the situation if it will be small percentage of non update it will be easy to fix.

I have other multiple sites to do the same. There is a small quantity of IE9 but the test shows that IE11 could be applied without problem.

Few days ago I decided to open a case with MS for finding the cure for failed IE11 update. There are articles about prerequested KBs that should be applied in order... this makes the tasks not so trivial.

But having a success I decided to wait and open the case if the situation will be desperate.

Here is the report from the machine with failed IE11 update. Cumulative for IE10 is marked as needed. But it is not approved, so don't think can cause the problem.

and here is the error when click on Failed:

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Deploying ie11 through WSUS is broken. It is not reliable as there are prerequisite update problems on WSUS, making the ie11 install temperamental. 

I am going to deploy it through SCCM until windows 10 is ready for business use, which looking at the state of the gpo for windows 10 might never come.

Following this guide for deploying ie11 in sccm but instead use the .exe or msi to deploy it.

Also need post install updates in order to get the buggy enterprise mode to work, as ie11 essentially breaks about 80% of enterprise web based software.

Deploying ie11 is pathetic and I hate that we can't just use chrome or firefox because buggy enterprise web based software doesn't support it either.

http://prajwaldesai.com/deploy-internet-explorer-11-using-sccm-2012-r2/

That tool is very helpful, the one that prepackages all the prerequisite updates.

You might have better luck through WSUS, try approve all the prerequisite first then ie11 and the cumulative security updates.

Installing ie11 manually from the 55mbyte download can take 2 hours on some of my domain machines. Crazy.

GG microsoft

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:50 PM
  • > Deploying ie11 through WSUS is broken. It is not reliable as there are prerequisite update problems on WSUS, making the ie11 install temperamental. 

Agree... Just a little update.

As mentioned earlier after few successful tests I pushed IE11 to 30 machines of 1 site. On a next day just few were updated, other showed errors. Second day, few more showed success. In 5 days I had 6 machines with errors. So the others kind of "autorepaired".

So I continued uncertain experiment and added another batch of 50 machines to the group. I had 22 non successful and today I see 17.

Ideally, I would like to know/have a cure for the problem because I need to update IE11 on 16 sites and then main office. Today I will push update some new security updates so all machines should reboot. If failed and IE11 machines will not be repaired I will probably call MS if they will be fixed I can move forward knowing that eventually everything will be updated.

Thanks.

>

this is another "thrill"...

I discussed W7 PRO update last week. Succeeded to make it work and understand what is going wrong with the help of Don Pick. I will create a new post for preventing W10 notif when updating corporate base image from Internet...

My thread with struggling to update fresh Windows 7 and using Convenience Pack.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/875a445a-aebd-4585-b880-69efc3d7ee41/windows-7-not-updates?forum=winserverwsus

Friday, June 10, 2016 3:13 PM