Deploying with Transforms RRS feed

• Question

•  

Previously we deployed the following software thru AD.  Now we would like to use SCE, but I can't seem to get it to deploy properly.  the software deployed fine in AD and when trying with SCE I get the 0x80070667 error.

Can someone help me with the correct syntax to use in SCE?

V:\AD Installed\Adobe Reader\Adobe Reader 7.0.msi

* TRANSFORM *

V:\AD Installed\Adobe Reader\Adobe Reader 7.0.mst

V:\AD Installed\Flash\install_flash_player_9_active_x.msi

V:\AD Installed\Java\J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4.msi

* TRANSFORM *

V:\AD Installed\Java\java.mst

V:\AD Installed\QT713\QuickTime.msi

* TRANSFORM *

V:\AD Installed\QT713\qt713.mst

V:\AD Installed\Shockwave\sw_lic_full_installer.msi

* TRANSFORM *

V:\AD Installed\Shockwave\fixswinst.mst

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:37 PM

Answers

• Anthony,

If you place your mst file in the same directory as your msi file and then just add the following parameters during the wizard: TRANSFORMS=your_file.mst

Hope this helps

Björn Axéll MVP - Advisec AB

http://blog.advisec.com

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Anthony,

What are you adding as a parameter? Do you add transforms= and a path to a server share? What I recommend you to do is to only add transforms=your_file.mst. Since you have the mst file in the same directory as the msi file it you don't need to add any path, both files will be packaged and sent to the clients.

If you still need/want to put the mst file on a server share (don't understand why you would like to have the software on two places, both in the SCE server and on a nother share) - you need to make sure "computers" have the permission to read from that share since when you install applications on the machine - it uses the local service account. To fix this, you can add a speciel group or use the "authenticated user" group( this included both users and computers)

Björn Axéll MVP - Advisec AB

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:04 PM

All replies

• Anthony,

If you place your mst file in the same directory as your msi file and then just add the following parameters during the wizard: TRANSFORMS=your_file.mst

Hope this helps

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:16 PM
  •  

Thanks.  They were in the same folder, but I had been trying /t transformname.msp   on the install parameter line.   Using transforms=transformname.msp  worked

thanks!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:41 PM
  • ok, spoke too soon.

Adobe Acrobat installed correctly with the line  transforms= "\\epsteinatlanta\cabinets\AD Installed\Adobe Reader\Adobe Reader 7.0.mst"

however, when I then tried with the other packages (that do work via AD), the three failed.  the msi and mst are in the same folder for each program.

transforms="\\epsteinatlanta\AD Installed\Shockwave\fixswinst.mst"

TRANSFORMS="\\epsteinatlanta\AD Installed\QT713\qt713.mst"

TRANSFORMS="\\epsteinatlanta\AD Installed\Java\java.mst"

Any idea?

I'm now getting the 0x80070658 error

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:56 PM
  • Anthony,

What are you adding as a parameter? Do you add transforms= and a path to a server share? What I recommend you to do is to only add transforms=your_file.mst. Since you have the mst file in the same directory as the msi file it you don't need to add any path, both files will be packaged and sent to the clients.

If you still need/want to put the mst file on a server share (don't understand why you would like to have the software on two places, both in the SCE server and on a nother share) - you need to make sure "computers" have the permission to read from that share since when you install applications on the machine - it uses the local service account. To fix this, you can add a speciel group or use the "authenticated user" group( this included both users and computers)

Björn Axéll MVP - Advisec AB

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:04 PM
  • ok, doing it without the path works.

I understand what you're saying, but then where on the SCE server is the software stored?

We have a server share (cabinets) where we store all of the software to be installed (msi/exe/etc).  From there, in AD, we had it deploy from that network location.  We also use the location for standalone installs/laptop installls/etc that are not part of the domain.

Now with SCE, we've left the software where it is and I guess, assumed that it was still a valid deploy point for SCE.  Office 2k7 is out there as well.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:19 PM
  •  

Anthony,

I have used AD software deployment allot and know some benefits you can get from it but SCE can't be utilized in the same way.

When you add an application to SCE, it will package all the binaries to cab files (these are place on the server "SCE share"\UpdateServicesPackages\"Name of application-or guide"\cab files). These cab files are sign so they can’t be changed during the transfer to the clients. Except for the cab file, SCE will also add another directory under "SCE share"\UpdateServicesPackages\"Name of application-or guide"\ where it stores the original files - this is the place where clients will get redirected to if you for example do a repair of a msi based application.

Hope this explains

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Yes.  Thanks for the clarification. 

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:34 PM