Client deployment time out? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a fair amount of laptop users, many of them rarely use their laptops and leave them at home. If a user turns on their laptop weeks after a client deployment has been performed on that device, will that client deployment still be scheduled for that device and install fine or will it have timed out at some point?

If It does timeout then I might have to try workout which devices in our "messy" active directory structure are active but have just not been turned on within the timeout period of that client deployment window.

Other then manually working this out using scripts and contacting the users.

How do other people approach this?

Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:05 PM

Answers

• You have to add the VPN boundary and configure the boundary group 

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Johnmclain Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:04 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 9:55 AM

All replies

• Deployments should re-evaluate when they are in the office next. 

Have you thought about IBCM for the users working at home? https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configurationmgr/2013/12/11/a-closer-look-at-internet-based-client-management-in-configmgr-2012/

Jason Sandy's has a good post about the pros/cons of managing remote machines at http://blog.configmgrftw.com/managing-remote-systems/

Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:34 PM
  • Thanks Nick.

Home users connect over VPN, so should be just like in the office... Except, i do wonder about boundary configuration for vpn users and whether I will need to add the vpn subnets in as boundaries, which i have not done yet.

Will give the links a read.

I have now added all the VPN subnets and will look at doing a report to work out clients that have not had the client installed yet.
    • Edited by Johnmclain Friday, August 19, 2016 9:43 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 8:50 AM
  • You have to add the VPN boundary and configure the boundary group 

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Johnmclain Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:04 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 9:55 AM
  • Whenever user will come next time to office, deployment should go to laptop if the deployment still exists. Until then PC status will be Unknown for those deployments.

Timeout is completely different thing. It happens when Software Installation time has exceeded the duration which you have configured in Application.

Sunday, August 21, 2016 5:49 AM