none
Skype for Business - Enterprise CAL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

could you pls tell me, how add Enterprise CAL in the Skype for Business server? Or how enable features Enterprise CAL?

Because I read this article :

please kindly note the three CALs gives a user the different right to access the services of SFB server.

Thanks 

Michal

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi MichalP_66,

In my understanding, user CALs is paper work, it is basically an "Honor system", we don't need to install to server. 

You have to keep track of how many users you have, and how many client access licenses you need, and then you have to buy that from Microsoft. When you do, you are compliant with the license fees you owe Microsoft for using their product.

If you get just the 5 CAL's and then have 500 users, it will still work, but you're using 495 pirated connections you should be paying Microsoft for. They can do audits, and do levy extra fees if you are found to be non-compliant.

Hope it is helpful to you.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:03 AM
  • Hello Shaw,

thanks for your help.

we have Skype for business 2019 Standard edition on premise without Microsoft Exchange and we have problem with conference. 

I use client Skype for business Basic. Video between 2 users is Ok, but when I create video conference for 3 users, only 2 users can connect and when try connect another user, video conference fail.

Do you know where is problem?

Thanks and regards

Michal

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:40 AM
  • Hi MichalP_66,

How often did it happen, always? Is there any error message?

Please check the Lync server event log to see if there is any related error.

In addition, please try with the full client version (Skype for Business 2015/2016) to see the result.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:35 AM
  • Hello Shaw,

How often did it happen, always? - Always - different users. 

Is there any error message? No

Lync server event log - whitch logs do you mean? Computer management - logs?

Full client version (Skype for Business 2015/2016) - where do I find it?

Thanks and regards

Michal

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:32 PM
  • Hi MichalP_66,

Did it only happen with video conference, how about normal meeting, no video?

You could go the Skype for Business server, Event View – Lync server, check if there is any error event. As below:

Skype for Business client is apart of Office application, install Office 2016 and then Skype for Business 2016 client is in application list.

In addition, install the latest client update:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/sfb-client-updates?toc=/SkypeForBusiness/toc.json&bc=/SkypeForBusiness/breadcrumb/toc.json 

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:20 AM
  • Hello Shaw,

thanks for help. Answers are below.

Did it only happen with video conference, how about normal meeting, no video? Normal meeting ( no video) fail too.

You could go the Skype for Business server, Event View – Lync server, check if there is any error event - no relevant errors in testing time.

In addition, please try with the full client version (Skype for Business 2015/2016) to see the result. - fail too.

Thanks

Michal

Friday, August 16, 2019 10:45 AM
  • Hi Shaw,

any update?

Can not be a problem in Exchange server, that we don't have?

Or problem in firewall??

Or settings on Skype server?

Thanks for your help.

Michal

Monday, August 19, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hi MichalP_66,

I think it is not related to Exchange.

Please check in the topology that you have enabled the conference feature. As below:

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Monday, August 19, 2019 8:29 AM
  • Hi Shaw,

I thing, that conference feature is enable :

What others can I check?

Thanks

Michal

Monday, August 19, 2019 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any firewall between the client and server?

Please check the required ports are open.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/network-requirements/ports-and-protocols

In addition, please check if there is any third-party application that exists on both client and server side.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Friday, August 23, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

yes, firewall is between client and server - there will be a problem.

But we was testing 3 clients connected in the same 1Gb switch as server :

1/ 3 clients are connected

2/ video was awfully - very slow and jammed - what is problem?

Best regards

Michal

Monday, August 26, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Hi MichalP_66,

How about to bypass the firewall?

In addition, about video freeze issue, please make sure you use the certificated device, and install the latest driver.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/certification/devices-usb-devices

The Skype for Business client has made a change to rely on the estimated send time to throttle picture-loss-indication Real-time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP) feedback. In the situation of bitstream corruption or network loss, video freezes until the next keyframe.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Thursday, August 29, 2019 8:36 AM