Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows explorer is restarting. Desktop Reloads RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I've owned my computer for almost a year now, and it worked fine up until a couple weeks ago.  I only get the error when I try to right click .exe shortcuts, games, digital camera programs, etc. I have no idea what is wrong. I am 100% sure its not a trojan or virus causing this though.

I've had norton anti-virus since the day I bought the machine

Recently downloaded Trojan Remover and ran it with no problems

I've made small registry adjustments that worked for other people on different posts with the same problem.

I have no restore points to before I noticed this happening.

I think it has something to do with an activeX download that came with mozilla firefox when I got it but I don't know for sure.  However I've uninstalled that program now and the desktop reload still happens when I right click .exe shortcuts, or programs.

Please help this is getting very irritating.

Searz

Monday, October 13, 2008 2:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Searz,

We might perform the following instructions to narrow down the issue.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, please test this issue in Windows Clean Boot mode. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable All.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it works!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:00 AM

All replies

• help me!

Monday, October 13, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Hi Searz,

We might perform the following instructions to narrow down the issue.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, please test this issue in Windows Clean Boot mode. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable All.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it works!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:00 AM