Stuck in SteadyState Update Mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hey I must have accidently switched the settings on SteadyState to update automatically, and now I can't access my computer.

Firstly, When steadystate enters its automatic update mode, there is no clear way to cancel or bypass this mode. I have windows set so stand by occurs after a relatively short period of inactivity. Becasue fo this, when steadystate tries update automatically, it cannot finish becasue the computer goes into standby before it can fiinsh updating, As a result to access my computer I have to babysit the computer and make sure it doesn't go into standby. Secondly, sometimes internet connection can be lost. If windows update is in the middle of updating when the internet becomes unavailable, it seems impossible for it to finish updating and therefore impossible to access my computer. This becomes extremely irritating.

Please offer any advice you have , and any  wyas of bypassing steadystate update mode.

Rob
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:14 AM

Answers

• Hey I've managed to get into the ocmputer and turn off steadystate update - I'd rather update manually. I started up in safe mode and unplugged my ethernet cable. The computer just restarted on it's own then came to the welcome screen. I don't know how that worked, but i'm back on my computer again. Out of curiosity though, is there a way to bypass or cancel the update in case this happens again in the future? I read on a forum that if you restart and start up in safe mode, then log in as an admin it will allow you access to the computer, allowing you to turn off updates in steadystate. I've also heard that if you unplug your ethernet connection, then steadystate will detect this and cancel the update.

Thanks

Rob

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:31 PM
  •  

Actually, if you are under Safe Mode, the computer is not able to install update via Internet. As I have said, Windows Update/ Automatic Updates uses BITS to download update, however, BITS cannot be started in Safe Mode. If the network is temporarily not available under Normal Mode, the downloaded part of update is retained and the download process will be resumed when the connection is available.

You can also go to Control Panel – Windows Update to cancel the downloading of update.  

Friday, September 19, 2008 7:06 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Rob, firstly, I'd like to inform you the following two points regarding Automatic Updates:

1.       Automatic Updates is a part of Windows operating system and SteadyState only shows the UI so that we can centralize Windows Update and virus definition update.

2.       Automatic Updates uses BITS service so that it can avoid re-downloading updates several times. If the update download was interrupted since the computer went to standby, it can resume downloading when the computer wakes up. If the update cannot be finished somehow, we may need to involve our Windows Update support team so that the issue can be resolved in a timely manner.

Could you also let me know the current status of the computer. Did you encounter any error when trying to access the computer?

Thursday, September 18, 2008 5:59 AM
  • Hey I've managed to get into the ocmputer and turn off steadystate update - I'd rather update manually. I started up in safe mode and unplugged my ethernet cable. The computer just restarted on it's own then came to the welcome screen. I don't know how that worked, but i'm back on my computer again. Out of curiosity though, is there a way to bypass or cancel the update in case this happens again in the future? I read on a forum that if you restart and start up in safe mode, then log in as an admin it will allow you access to the computer, allowing you to turn off updates in steadystate. I've also heard that if you unplug your ethernet connection, then steadystate will detect this and cancel the update.

Thanks

Rob

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:31 PM
  •  

Actually, if you are under Safe Mode, the computer is not able to install update via Internet. As I have said, Windows Update/ Automatic Updates uses BITS to download update, however, BITS cannot be started in Safe Mode. If the network is temporarily not available under Normal Mode, the downloaded part of update is retained and the download process will be resumed when the connection is available.

You can also go to Control Panel – Windows Update to cancel the downloading of update.  

Friday, September 19, 2008 7:06 AM