.NET Framework upgrade question: Runtime vs. Developer Pack? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a computer that has both the .NET Framework 4.7.2 Runtime AND the .NET Framework 4.7.2 Developer Pack installed on it.  If i install the .NET Framework 4.8 Runtime on that computer, do i still need to install the .NET Framework 4.8 Developer Pack as well?  Or does the Runtime installer upgrade both?  I would guess that i need to install both the Runtime and the Developer Pack for version 4.8.  Because the runtime would not have components that are only in the Developer Pack.  Right?
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:38 PM

All replies

• You'll find more dotnet setup / servicing experts over here in dedicated forum.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=netfxsetup

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Friday, September 13, 2019 12:50 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:42 PM
  • >>If i install the .NET Framework 4.8 Runtime on that computer, do i still need to install the .NET Framework 4.8 Developer Pack as well?

Yes.

The runtime type version is a lighter version, meant to run applications on servers. This runtime version doesn't have the information/extensions that Visual Studio needs, so if you are a developer who need to develop .net framework applications using Visual studio, install both of them.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 13, 2019 6:23 AM