none
DNS client name resolution anomaly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have a strange problem. We have a Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 which is domain joined. There are 3 domain controllers with integrated DNS. The health of the AD is perfect, every other client is working fine.

So here is the problem. When I change the primary DNS server of the HyperV Server to another working DNS, the name resolution stops working. I can ping the IP of every DNS server, but I cannot ping with FQDN and netbios name...

After several hours it starts to work from itself. If I change the primary DNS address again, it happens again.

What could cause this strange phenomenon?

Kind regards,

Dvijne

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Dvijne,

1.>>I can ping the IP of every DNS server, but I cannot ping with FQDN and netbios name...

When you analyze a DNS name resolution issue,please use ‘NSLOOKUP’。

2.You could perform a network capture, determine where is breaking down.

Here is the link of Windows network monitor:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Dvijne Friday, February 26, 2016 1:05 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:49 AM

All replies

• What responses from each DNS server do you get from nslookup?  Try this:

# nslookup

> server <DNS Server-A IP address>

> randomHost.fqdn.com

(You should get a response for an A record lookup of randomHost.fqdn.com from DNS Server-A)

> server <DNS Server-B IP address>

> randomHost.fqdn.com

(You should get a response for an A record lookup of randomHost.fqdn.com from DNS Server-B)

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:48 PM
  • The nslookup times out on every DNS server, but after a several hours the actual primary DNS server works. And after I change the primary DNS server then only the old one works (until that several hours, after that the new one will work).

I have never seen such behaviour. And to make it more interesting, we have another server from the same image and that is working fine.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:15 AM
  • Hi Dvijne,

1.>>I can ping the IP of every DNS server, but I cannot ping with FQDN and netbios name...

When you analyze a DNS name resolution issue,please use ‘NSLOOKUP’。

2.You could perform a network capture, determine where is breaking down.

Here is the link of Windows network monitor:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Dvijne Friday, February 26, 2016 1:05 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

We found that (after monitoring the traffic) there was a firewall which blocked the traffic for some reason. The network team took care of the issue, so now everything is working.

Kind regards,

Dvijne

Friday, February 26, 2016 1:05 PM