Windows 7 (on old computer) to Windows 7 (on new computer) RRS feed

• Question

• Everything I've seen here is old and entails basically upgrading from either XP, Vista or RC version of Windows 7 to Retail version.  I have already installed and have been using the retail version of Windows 7 Pro 32 bit on my older Dell laptop.  I just purchased a new HP with Home Premium 64 bit on it and wish to migrate all my programs and settings (not worried about the files, that's the easy part).  I just don't want to have to re-install all the programs and change all the settings again.  Is this possible with the Windows Easy Transfer tool or some other method?
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:58 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry to say you're probably going to have to re-install all the programs.  64-bit Windows stores them in a different location than 32-bit - "c:\Program Files (x86)" as opposed to just "c:\Program Files" (the "c:\Program Files" folder in 64-bit is for 64-bit programs only), so even if you could copy them and all their various Registry settings, they probably wouldn't run.

The good news it that you can migrate most of the settings for the programs - just copy "C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData" from the old machine to the new one.  AppData is a hidden folder, so you'll have to turn on Show Hidden in folder options to get to it.  I also suggest that instead of copying everything, that you just copy the individual program settings folders you need from "Local", "LocalLow" (if any reside there) and "Roaming".

• Proposed as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:07 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:40 PM

All replies

• Windows easy transfer doesn't transfer programs anyways..... so what I would do is upgrade your hp to pro 64bit... reinstall all the programs you want, then transfer all your files from your old dell. after your finished with your dell you will have to uninstall the retail upgrade from it. so only the hp will have the retail upgrade installed. oh and the best thing to do is a clean install ( upgrade) because you don't want all that garbage that hp puts on it's computers.
    my answers or disscusion points might not always right but they may have points not yet looked at. If you feel insulted by any points this is not my intention, i'm trying to help
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:30 PM
  • I'm sorry to say you're probably going to have to re-install all the programs.  64-bit Windows stores them in a different location than 32-bit - "c:\Program Files (x86)" as opposed to just "c:\Program Files" (the "c:\Program Files" folder in 64-bit is for 64-bit programs only), so even if you could copy them and all their various Registry settings, they probably wouldn't run.

The good news it that you can migrate most of the settings for the programs - just copy "C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData" from the old machine to the new one.  AppData is a hidden folder, so you'll have to turn on Show Hidden in folder options to get to it.  I also suggest that instead of copying everything, that you just copy the individual program settings folders you need from "Local", "LocalLow" (if any reside there) and "Roaming".

• Proposed as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:07 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:40 PM
  • nothing like saying again what has already been said LOL. Program settings are not a big deal to move over... in fact you may want to see what the defaults are and maybe stay with them. I do find this happens alot on these forums.... same answers with a small twist, is the check mark that important to ppl hahaha, it's just funny to me
    my answers or disscusion points might not always right but they may have points not yet looked at. If you feel insulted by any points this is not my intention, i'm trying to help
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Thanks to all for the feedback.  However, Laplink claims that their product PCMover will accomplish this feat.  I'm going to try it to see.  Caveat 1 is that the program must be compatible with the 64 bit version and caveat 2 is that if the program is protected (i.e. verifies which computer it was installed on) it will have to be re-installed as well.  We'll see...
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Tell us how it goes with these programs that you are trying, personaly I find it way easier to just reload windows(clean install) after you back up your files that ypou want to keep and then just reinstall all programs. As for some programs you wont want to install because either they suck or you didn't really have a need for them anyways. You also don't bring along any glicthes that may have happened either during a inplace upgrade or what your trying to do use a program to transfer from one computer to another.

Just remember in about a week to 2 weeks if you start getting issues like slow downs ... app hangs, crashes, or programs acting funny.... it may not be a virus it maybe your install method.... just something to keep in mind.

But please do tell your experiances with these programs as it may help someone else trying it.

Friday, October 22, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Thanks to all for the feedback.  However, Laplink claims that their product PCMover will accomplish this feat.  I'm going to try it to see.  Caveat 1 is that the program must be compatible with the 64 bit version and caveat 2 is that if the program is protected (i.e. verifies which computer it was installed on) it will have to be re-installed as well.  We'll see...

I have read the information on the Laplink website and I cannot find any reference that states PC Mover will migrate your programs from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system.

I think you just took it for granted that PC Mover would do this.  Did you contact Laplink Technical Support and ask them it PC Mover would migrate installed programs from 32-bit OS to 64-bit OS?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 22, 2010 5:06 PM