Windows search fails to find .VB, .VBProj and .snippet files contents; Control panel, Indexing, File types entry correct; folder access correct RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Indexer under Windows 7 cannot find strings in *.vb, *.vbproj or *.snippet files that are in indexed folders.  Windows Indexer finds the same strings in copies of the *.vb, *.vbproj or *.snippet files, with each copy located in the same folder as the corresponding vb, vbproj or snippet file, as long as the copy is given txt as extension.

The following steps did not solve this problem:
    •search these strings in Safe Mode
    •create a new account to test the issue.
    •uncheck the *.vb , *.vbproj from Indexing Options, Advanced, File Types, restart computer, check them again, restart computer.
     •Rebuild index after that
    •Uninstall and reinstall Windows Search Feature.
    •Set the value of  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsSearch\SetupCompletedSuccessfuly to 0 and restart the PC.

I would very mych appreciate any ideas/pointers.

Thanks!

Ronny Schaul
    • Moved by Hasham Niaz Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:07 PM Related to Windows 7 (From:Forums Issues (not product support))
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

You were right!

In Indexer Option, Advanced, File Types, for the vb extension, the "Index Properties only" radio button in the "How should this file be indexed" group was selected. Checking the "Index Properties and File Contents" instead solved the problem.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks a lot for your help!

Ronny Schaul

• Marked as answer by Ronny Schaul Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:53 PM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Ronny,

Have you confirmed that Windows Search service started? How about turn on Windows Search and Indexing Service feature.

Please provide me a detailed steps to reproduce the issue. I can then local test it for you.

Thanks,

Spencer

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, August 10, 2012 10:22 AM
  • Try a dedicated source code searching tool like Agent Ransack or WinGrep. The results are much more suited to understanding code references.
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Hi Ronny,

Do you have any update about the issue? Have you checed the recommendations from me or followed CodeBloke's suggestions?

Thanks,

Spencer

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:43 AM
  • Not answered.

Recap

Windows search fails to find .VB, .VBProj and .snippet files contents; Control panel, Indexing, File types entry correct; folder access correct

•search these strings in Safe Mode
    •create a new account to test the issue.
    •uncheck the *.vb , *.vbproj from Indexing Options, Advanced, File Types, restart computer, check them again, restart computer.
    •Rebuild index after that
    •Uninstall and reinstall Windows Search Feature.
    •Set the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsSearch\SetupCompletedSuccessfuly to 0 and restart the PC

Windows search service (WSearch) is running

Agent Ransack is not an indexer, so its search is very slow when there are many files to search (~130,000 files , ergo the importance of an indexer

WinGrep doesn’t seem to be an indexer and crashed when searching for the same string in a *.vb file as was tested under Agent Ransack

I am looking for an indexer so that search results are retuned quickly.

Again, my silly trick of making a copy of each *.vb, *.vbproj and *.snippet file with *.txt as extension does work under Windows 7 indexer.

I would very much appreciate any pointer/idea.

Thanks!

Ronny Schaul

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Hi Ronny,

How about turn on feature Indexing Service on Windows Features? I did local test but unable to reproduce your issue. Can you check all settings with a working machine? I am using the default setting for Windows Search and it works well.

Additionally, just for your reference, you may try a 3rd party tool Everything which contains file indexing.

Please notice that since the tool is from 3rd party, we can not guarantee the safty of the tool.

Thanks,

Spencer

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Just to double check:  When you check each type, is the "How should this file be indexed" radio button set to "Index Properties and File Contents"?  There's a chance at least for the .VB, the default of just "File Properties" is still in effect for you.

With that said, consider yourself lucky that it even partly works for you.  Search in Windows 7 is a gigantic step backward from good old Windows Desktop 4.0, which worked, and worked reasonably well against network shares too.  (If your version of Windows 7 gives you the XP mode for Windows Virtual PC, set up true searching there). 

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Hi John,

You were right!

In Indexer Option, Advanced, File Types, for the vb extension, the "Index Properties only" radio button in the "How should this file be indexed" group was selected. Checking the "Index Properties and File Contents" instead solved the problem.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks a lot for your help!

Ronny Schaul

• Marked as answer by Ronny Schaul Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:53 PM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:53 PM