none
Issues Printing to Local Printer While Using Remote Desktop

Question

• Hello, so I am using a Windows 10 Pro and I am using Remote Desktop to work on a Windows 7 machine at work. I am attempting to print to my local machine which I have connected to my computer via USB. I've installed the drivers on both my laptop and on the Windows 7 machine. I've tested to make sure that my computer detects and can print to the local USB connected printer and it works.

When I use Remote Desktop, I make sure to use local resources while remoted in. I check the computers devices and printers and it sees my local printer. But when I go to print. It sends the job not to my local printer that I told it to. But to another printer at another worksite. So the print job just holds until I plug into the network at that job site and sends my print job out. I checked the printer properties for the local printer to see why it is not printing. And it says the port is not active. Then I check to see if that other printer from the other worksite is listed as a possible printer on the computer I have remoted in and it is not visible.

I am confused on how to proceed. What are your thoughts and solutions?

Thank you!

Saturday, April 27, 2019 12:08 AM

All replies

• hi

"But when I go to print. It sends the job not to my local printer that I told it to. But to another printer at another worksite. "
    1 can you explain which printer model of the problematical printer(printer1) connect to your win10 laptop ?
      can you explain which printer model of "another printer"(printer2) on athoer worksite
      Are the printer 1 and printer 2 the same printer model ?
      do you use the same printer driver for printer 1 and printer 2?
      how many printer ports do you use for printers install on win10 pro ?check like picture 1 .
     (go to Control Panel\Hardware\Devices and Printers and click"print server properties" then click "ports" item)
    2 what's detail printer driver do you use on win10 laptop and remote guest(win7) for problematical printer ?
    go to Control Panel\Hardware\Devices and Printers and click"print server properties" then click "driver" item check like picture 2
    3 can you enter winver in command prompt on win10 computer and win7 computer then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    4 easy printer can be available when connecting to Ultimate/Enterprise editions of Windows 7(not support win7 pro)
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Enterprise-Mobility-Security/Using-Remote-Desktop-Easy-Print-in-Windows-7-and-Windows-Server/ba-p/246912
    5  where is your problematical win7 installed ? is it installed on win10 as hyper-v guest ?
       is it install another worksite and you need to remote to this win7 by using remote gateway or VPN?
    6 if there are two available printers installed on problematical win10 pro ,can they all not print on issue win7 ?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 29, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 12:45 PM
  • Is there anything to help you?

Sunday, May 5, 2019 2:37 PM