Windows 10 Pro Can't See All Network Devices After It did earlier RRS feed

• General discussion

• Update 3-31-2018 - all solutions in one place

1. In Advanced Sharing network Discovery keeps showing off when it is actually on.  Solution so as not to worry is to run at the elevated command prompt

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Network Discovery" new enable=Yes

2. The latest Fall creators update fixed the network devices not showing up issue, sort of.  If you have some older resources on the network, in Control Panel>programs and features>Turn Windows features on or off find SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and check all the boxes - it has three sub items.

3. For the VPNs not working, that cleaned up after the Fall Creators update and firmware updates to my routers - DLink DSR-250 business class.

4. Network reset does help clean up some issues, but is a bit of a pain if you have multiple VPN clients set up that will have to be set up again.  Yes there is a Network reset link in Settings>Network & Internet>Status, but if you have Win 7 or prefer command line, then:

Command Prompt>Run As Administrator and at the prompt type the following commands, pressing Enter after each command:

netsh int ip reset reset.txt

netsh winsock reset

netsh advfirewall reset

Restart the computer.

Additional to check:

Open Services console, make sure the following services' startup type is "Automatic" and status is "Running".

• Function Discovery Provider Host - Automatic (Delayed Start)
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication - Automatic (Delayed Start)
    • DNS Client - Automatic
    • SSDP Discovery - Automatic
    • UPnP Device Host - Automatic - I don't use UPnP anywhere so mine is Disabled for now.

Check all SMBv1 in Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features On and Off

Yes I know SMBv1 is a vulnerability, but so is not being able to access network resources.

There, everything in one place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post

I have spent hours and hours pouring through posts and trying suggestions to fix this.  At one point the network in File Explorer was showing more - not sure if it showed everything as I wasn't looking for that at that point.

I have the list of services running and automatic.

DNS Support, Funct Discovery, Funct Disc Resource Pub, SSDP, but not UPnP.  I have tested with and without UPnP - no diff. 

Tried with Windows Firewall on and off.  No diff.

And that don't use a Pin thing - no diff.

It is a private network, but not HomeGroup - User names and passwords throughout the network - HomeGroup services are disabled and Group Policy is set to disallow users joining a HomeGroup, yet from time to time I see it showing up after updates like so many other things that change back after updates.

Also in Advanced sharing settings, it keeps dropping back to Turn Off network discovery just like win 7 Pro does even though network discovery is still on.

Of course, everything works on Win 7 Pro so it ain't the network, router, etc. - it is Windows 10.  I have a third windows 10 computer that sees most of the items on the network and I have the Windows Update Service turned off on it thanks to last months rollup and the Comodo fiasco.  I am afraid to turn the update service on to then have updates come in that make the network devices disappear to the Win 10 computer. That computer is business critical whereas my Win 10 laptop is not, so I am waiting until it sorts out on my laptop before I do updates on that computer.

So how to fix this? Or is it just broken.  This is completely ridiculous that we have to deal with this.  It was working and now it isn't.  SAAS stands for...?     That should be another thread for fun. 

Win 10 Pro 64-it

Version 1703

Build 15063.418

• Changed type Rafisher1 Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:07 PM All solved
    • Edited by Rafisher1 Sunday, April 1, 2018 2:08 AM
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, let's confirm your environment.

Did your computer join in the domain or standalone workgroup?

According to your description "Also in Advanced sharing settings, it keeps dropping back to Turn Off network discovery just like win 7 Pro does even though network discovery is still on." you cannot keep network discovery on, right?

Please double confirm you have done this things:

Open Services console, make sure the following services' startup type is "Automatic" and status is "Running".

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host

Afterwards, turn on the network discovery for all network profile using command:

1. Open Prompt command(Admin).

2. Type the following command:

Then, check the result again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 17, 2017 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

First of all, let's confirm your environment.

Did your computer join in the domain or standalone workgroup?

According to your description "Also in Advanced sharing settings, it keeps dropping back to Turn Off network discovery just like win 7 Pro does even though network discovery is still on." you cannot keep network discovery on, right?

Please double confirm you have done this things:

• DNS Client
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host

Afterwards, turn on the network discovery for all network profile using command:

1. Open Prompt command(Admin).

2. Type the following command:

Then, check the result again.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi Karen - thanks for responding.

No Domain, only workgroup.  Also, keep in mind the Win 10 computer could see network resources earlier on, but stopped after Updating to 15063.483, same on another Win 10 I just setup, and I have a third still on 15063.413 and it can still see most of the network resources, missing two printers.  I have an IP scanner that sees all resources on the network.  So my guess it I the updates.  I tried to uninstall KB4022405 on my Win 10, but it won't let me - guessing too many updates came in after it that would be messed up if It uninstalled.

You wrote: According to your description "Also in Advanced sharing settings, it keeps dropping back to Turn Off network discovery just like win 7 Pro does even though network discovery is still on." you cannot keep network discovery on, right? - In Windows 7 network discovery is on, but in the Advanced sharing settings it always shows it with the Off radial selected.  Just a reporting glitch, My guess.  Now in Won 10 it is behaving the same, but without being able to see network resources I don't know if that is a problem.  Otherwise - yes, all those services are running and automatic, and I did the command line bit with no problem, but no joy - nothing changed.

• Edited by Rafisher1 Monday, July 17, 2017 7:13 PM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 7:04 PM
  • You wrote: According to your description "Also in Advanced sharing settings, it keeps dropping back to Turn Off network discovery just like win 7 Pro does even though network discovery is still on." you cannot keep network discovery on, right? - In Windows 7 network discovery is on, but in the Advanced sharing settings it always shows it with the Off radial selected.  Just a reporting glitch, My guess.  Now in Won 10 it is behaving the same, but without being able to see network resources I don't know if that is a problem.  Otherwise - yes, all those services are running and automatic, and I did the command line bit with no problem, but no joy - nothing changed.

Hi,

My lab machine is same as yours, Windows 10 15063.483. And I can see other network devices. Thus it should not be that update issue.

In addition, about the network discovery issue, I cannot agree with you.

Since it always keeps my selection if I leave it on.

I suspect this is the issue. Let's try to reset your network to resolve the issue:

Settings ->Network &Internet->Status->Network reset

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hi Karen,

I am also working with you on the VPN thread.

After the netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Network Discovery" new enable=Yes command line the Network Discovery in my Win 10 Laptop 15063.483 is now staying on in Private and of course off in Public. I ran that command line in all the other Win 10 computers plus my Win 10 tablet, and after restarting them the Network Discovery drops back to Off – only on my laptop does it remain on.  However, I don’t think that Network Discovery is actually Off – it only reports on that screen as Off.

No joy on seeing the network resources after that command line and network reset. I ran Advanced IPScanner and it sees all, but Network in File Explorer only shows my laptop, the DLink Router, my roommate’s Netbook and the Roku. It is missing my Win 7 desktop EQ-6, my RAF-NAS, my roommate’s MAC, and an iMAC.

My Win 10 tablet v1607 Build 14393.1480 sees and doesn’t see in Network exactly the same as my laptop. I ran the Network Discovery command line and restarted, bit it drops back to off in advanced sharing settings.

My Win 7 desktop sees all the computers and the NAS on the network. And the Workgroup is set the same on my Win 7 desktop, my Win 10 laptop, and my Win 10 tablet.

My Beverly Hills client’s Win 10 laptop 15063.483 can only see itself in Network and yes there is at least one share set on all the Win 10 computers.

I remotely logged onto the Win 10 desktop in Tujunga v1703 Build 15063.483, and in Network this one only shows one Win 7 computer and not itself, while my W10 Laptop does show itself. It is not seeing the router, WAP, another Win 7 computer, a phone, and a tablet.

I logged onto with Remote Desktop the Win 10 v1703 build 15063.483 unattended file server desktop in Sedona, AZ, and in it sees in File Explorer Network only 2 out of 3 active computers and not the NAS or itself, even the two computers it does see one is listed in the navigation pane but not in the file pane and the other is listed in the file pane and not under Network in the navigation pane.

Summary - All four v1703 Build 15063.483 Win 10 computers and my v1607 Build 14393.1480 Win 10 tablet can't see some network resources that they should. I have reset the network on my laptop with no affect, so I didn’t on the others. I have run the netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Network Discovery" new enable=Yes command that fixed the Network Discovery dropping back to Off in My Laptop, but none of the other Win 10 computers nor my Win 10 tablet.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

Did these computer in different network? If so, they indeed are not appear in the network area without VPN connection.

Thus let's focus on resolving your VPN issue firstly on another thread.

Monday, July 24, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Over the last two days I set up a brand new win 10 Pro system here at the Tujunga location.  Once I got the network set up I could see all of the computers.  I kept checking this along the way.  Then after I completed setting up the Administrator account, I switched to and began to set up the Standard User account.  I almost immediately checked if I could see the Studio computer - same one missing at the Tujunga location before - and it was gone, but the others were still visible.  The same Studio computer is missing on the other Win 10 desktop.

I went back to the admin account and it was gone.  So it is Windows 10 losing its mind just like with the VPNs.

I ran netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Network Discovery" new enable=Yes.

I shut down for a bit then restarted, and the radial had dropped back to Turn off network discovery, yet Network Discovery is on because the computer can see the other two computers and itself.

I then got onto the Studio computer and it can see the all the computers and can get onto the new one.  So now the new one and the previous Win 10 Pro machines are behaving the same.  And no, I didn't try a VPN client, nor did I do the reset network as it is cleat at this point that it won't make a difference and I am tired and done for the day at almost 11 PM. 

• Edited by Rafisher1 Sunday, July 30, 2017 5:43 AM
    Sunday, July 30, 2017 5:23 AM
  • I think you need to resolve the VPN issue then this issue should be gone.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 9:05 AM
  • Okay - except for the Beverly Hills Client Win 10 laptop, the VPN issue is resolved.  However, updating the firmware to the latest in the Tujunga router did nothing about this inability to see all resources on the network.

So now what do we do about that?

Friday, August 25, 2017 2:10 AM
  • I have searched so many sites for an answer to this problem and nothing helped... but finally I found a solution that worked immediately.  There is a "Network reset" option on the bottom of the Network Settings Status page.  It reinstalls all network related drivers and then reboots your system.  (you have to enter your IP settings again if your using static IP addressing)
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:53 PM
  • Scott - happy that worked for you.  However, it did not work for me.  There are various issues discussed in this thread pertaining to network issues.

1. In Advanced Sharing network Discovery keeps showing off when it is actually on.  Solution so as not to worry is to run at the elevated command prompt

2. The latest Fall creators update fixed the network devices not showing up issue, sort of.  If you have some older resources on the network, in Control Panel>programs and features>Turn Windows features on or off find SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and check all the boxes - it has three sub items.

3. For the VPNs not working, that cleaned up after the Fall Creators update and firmware updates to my routers - DLink DSR-250 business class.

4. And yes, network reset does help clean up some issues, but is a bit of a pain if you have multiple VPN clients set up.  Yes there is a Network reset link in Settings>Network & Internet>Status, but if you have Win 7 or prefer command line, then:

Command Prompt>Run As Administrator and at the prompt type the following commands, pressing Enter after each command:

netsh int ip reset reset.txt

netsh winsock reset

netsh advfirewall reset

Restart the computer.

Additional to check:

• DNS Client
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host

There, everything in one place.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:03 PM
  • This worked for me

Two laptops that were both updated with the latest win10 (both previously saw all network connections and worked fine) turned into one that was still fine and one that couldn't see everything but it could access internet and could see the router.  After trying everything suggested here, and everywhere else, with no luck (including MS tech help which was basically restore to pre-update and reboot- it didn't work!) I compared the selected windows features in both systems.  I noticed in the one not working (win10pro) 'SMB Direct' was selected and in the other (win10 home) which was working this wasn't even listed as a feature.  So, I turned it off, rebooted and everything works! Interestingly, 'SMB Direct' has also defaulted back to 'on' again but I can still see all connections.  So, this worked for me, just search 'settings', then in the settings search box, 'features', select 'Turn Windows features on or off' it's towards the bottom of the list.  

• Edited by Simku Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:09 PM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:06 PM
  • After hours of web searching and trying multiple different setting options i came across this website

How to Set Up Limited User Accounts in Windows 10
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/limited-user-accounts-windows-10

I followed the 11 steps and created an limited user account in windows 10. Signed into the new account,
    then immediately signed back into my account and wallah all my network computers plus my 2 Synology servers reappeared.

Thanks,

Steve    

Monday, March 5, 2018 11:28 PM
  • Rafisher1: Just wanna say you thanks, I had the same network problem i did everything searched hundreds sites and youtube videos but nothing helped out so decided to reset my windows in the last moment i saw your post and checked SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support it was not installed as i did i saw all my computers in network list and now work properly, Thank You Man.  
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:44 PM
  • Found a great work-around for a workgroup in windows 10. Open up each network computer with the command    \ \nameofcomputer. When it is open, pin it to the quick access menu. Repeat the process for all computers in your workgroup and on all of your network computers. Works like a charm.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Not bad!  Same as Mapping a drive accept the link is on the QAB. 
    • Edited by Rafisher1 Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:11 PM
  • I can't really believe what M$$ just did...

I was also having problems on our work network. With one Server 2k8 with Domain and several Win10 Pro machines, when I went to network almost none of my machines would appear!!!

I was going crazy!!!

Then, after many hours (perhaps days), I found out the culprit. By reading this article, I found out that there are two services that becamed disabled (I didn't disabled do nothing) on my machines!!!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

Explorer Network Browsing

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).
        When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

Bingo, with SMBv1 disabled, after I enable those two services on every machine that I have, I finally could saw every machine displayed under network!!!!

How hard is to M$ to have this enabled by default on every machine?!? Why the hell this was disabled after SMBv1 being disabled?! If these services are disabled why the hell network search is for?!?

Stop messing around M$ !!! I lost tons of hours trying to fix this!!! Time is money!!!

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:34 PM
  • Excellent News!  I edited my all solutions in one place at the top of this thread.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 8:51 PM
  • Have 4 networked office computers - all running W10 - 3 are 32 bit, 1 is 64 bit.   After newest Windows updates -  network map doesn't show all computers.   Network Magic did correctly show all them.    Verified that "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" in Services was running.   Went to "Windows Features" from search -  SMB 1.0 / CIFS File Sharing Support -  enabled all three components.   Even enabled SMB 1.0 / CFIS -  Automatic Removal.  My understanding is that if SMB 1.0 is not used within 15 days it will be deleted automatically.    Appears to be some security concerns with this "old" version.   Nevertheless, everything perfectly fine now -  all PC's now show up on network map on on the computers.   My guess is eventually SMB 1.0 will be gone but hopefully computer detection / display issues will have been worked out.

See reference --     https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

Thursday, March 29, 2018 9:08 PM
  • You need to make sure "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" in Services is not only running but also set to automatic (delayed start) on all of the computers on your network. Same with DNS Client and SSDP Discovery, but set to Automatic without delayed start.

Hopefully, that will make SMB 1.0 irrelevant.

Friday, March 30, 2018 1:47 AM
  • Did all four changes in Services that you suggested on additional networked PC -  didn't help after a reboot.   Again went to "Windows Features" and checked all three boxes for SMB 1.0 -  again rebooted,  worked fine.  
    Saturday, March 31, 2018 10:58 PM
  • Did all four changes in Services that you suggested on additional networked PC -  didn't help after a reboot.   Again went to "Windows Features" and checked all three boxes for SMB 1.0 -  again rebooted,  worked fine.  

Are all of your computers Windows 10, are they Pro or Home, and are they all running the latest build? 

For comparative purposes, I have a mix of Win 7 Pro Desktop that has no SMB options,

Win 10 Pro Laptop and Win 10 Pro Tablet where the SMB V1 section is totally unchecked.

Doing this I realized that my Win 10 laptop and tablet could not see my NAS and my roommates MAC.

I rechecked to reinstall the SMB v1 section and magically everything reappeared.

I had assumed from NGuerreiro's post above that when the three computers listed under Network that we no longer needed SMB v1.  Thanks to your post proving that "assumption" wrong, I have now corrected the Win 10 computers, and have edited my "everything in one place" in my original post at the very top.

Just one more thing as Colombo would say, are you running Homegroup, or user names and passwords? 

• Edited by Rafisher1 Sunday, April 1, 2018 2:10 AM
    Sunday, April 1, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Thank you Simku, this worked for me as well! It was driving me crazy.
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 9:08 PM
  • O_O...... I have been trying to figure out why my Samba share drive works on EVERYTHING except my PC's... THANK YOU. 
    Friday, May 25, 2018 7:36 PM
  • Fix Windows 10 network issues:

Click on Control Panel

Click on Administrative Tools

Double Click on Services

Scroll down to Function Discovery Provider Host

Right Click on Function Discovery Provider Host

Click on Properties

Select drop down arrow on Startup Type

Select Automatic

Select Apply

Select OK

Right Click on Function Discovery Resource Publication

Click on Properties

Select drop down arrow on Startup Type

Select Automatic

Select Apply

Select OK

Reboot Computer

Go to Control Panel_ Administrative Tools_ Services

Scroll down and check that Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication are running and set to automatic.  If they are not running, right click on them and select start.

You will now be able to see your other PC’s on your network and they will be able to see this one.  If you have multiple windows 10 PC’s these steps need to be taken on each of them.  If you have Windows 7 PC’s on the network nothing is required as it is still by far; a superior operating system to windows 10.
    Sunday, May 27, 2018 11:26 PM
  • Found a great work-around for a workgroup in windows 10. Open up each network computer with the command    \ \nameofcomputer. When it is open, pin it to the quick access menu. Repeat the process for all computers in your workgroup and on all of your network computers. Works like a charm.
    This worked for me also - but I don't like resorting to workarounds.

I have over 6 computers and/or laptops that I manage here and this seems to be a problem on most of them, but not all.

I am new to this thread so I am going to try some of the suggestions listed. Any suggestions on which I should start with?

I am currently working on a brand new build of a Dell Precision M6800 - brand new drives and OS build 17134.08. Current to version 1803. 

Thanks 

w2t
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 4:36 PM
  • Finally after scouring the Internet for two days, I found this and it worked. Let's cross fingers it stays working.

Thank you so much. 

Saturday, June 2, 2018 7:37 PM
  • Try this 

https://nishantrana.me/2018/02/20/wi-fi-network-not-showing-up-in-windows-10/

Nishant Rana(My Blog and My Tweets)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 3:39 AM
  • Thank you.....................

Windows Updates at the end of May, 2018 kicked off my networking problems (not officially peer to peer per Microsoft's Services, but peer to peer normal) and I am not sure they're resolved yet. This is a small business client.

In addition to all the things recommended in this post, I also:

Uninstalled the May, 2018 Windows Updates (all Windows 10 Professional machines) and elected to postpone new Windows Updates for the maximum 45 days

Installed a new router that I know works correctly

Uninstalled the antivirus on the main Windows 10 Pro pc they're trying to get to (no antivirus, no antispy)

In addition to all the Services you suggested, I also turned on Computer Browser Service on all the machines.

Turned off Windows Firewall  on the main Windows 10 Pro pc they're trying to get to

Of course, already had a WORKGROUP in common, already had user names with same logins in common

Went into the Local Security Policy of each Windows 10 Professional machine and set Security Settings | Local Policies | User Rights Assignment | changed Allow Log On Locally to include Administrator, Administrators, the UserName they use, Power Users etc. 

And I am on a WIRED network, turned WiFi off.

We shall see if it "sticks" for more than 24 hours. I've been at this 1.5 weeks. No love.

p.s. no VPN

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 11:14 PM
  • Did not work for me.......thank you though
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 11:24 PM
  • I read somewhere that SMB will turn itself on/off after 45 days, no clue if that's true, but I dont want 45 days to go by and...

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 11:26 PM
  • Delayed Start ended up making my network not work, switched to Automatic and Started it, that helped. But from my post at the top of this page, you'll see that didnt fix it.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 11:26 PM
  • Thanks Rafisher1. I wasn't getting anywhere except older & crankier. I lost networking after installation of Win10 update 1803.
    Saturday, June 9, 2018 6:14 PM
  • You are welcome.

To anyone else having problems, go to the beginning of this thread to see all of the various solutions in one place.

Saturday, June 9, 2018 6:23 PM
  • Did you start at the beginning where I listed all of the solutions in one place?
    Saturday, June 9, 2018 6:25 PM
  • I had two Windows 10 Pro x64 1803's on my LAN and on PC1 I can see listed both PCs in Networking.

On PC2, I can only see listed PC2!

Took a look at 

They were both set to manual on both PCs.

So after setting these services to the above settings and rebooting both PCs I found that PC2 now lists both PCs!

Hooray.

Many thanks  Rafisher1! You're a gem. 

Monday, July 9, 2018 8:26 PM
  • This is Precisely why we will be tossing Widowz 10 into the garbage. Its no longer worth the time an effort one must spend to keep these things running, able to connect to Network resources, firewall issue, adding printer issues, on and on and on it goes.

Win10 I though was for BUSINESS?? I guess this is NOT the case.

The fact we have to jump through goddam hoops so we can get on the network and connect to network resources is atrocious.

Was trying to add printer today....no bloody way would it go. CAUSE: Stupid goddam firewall doesn't even allow you to add a printer...who the FU7K dreamed that up?? OMG.

USELESS time wasting piece of crap is all it is.

Friday, July 13, 2018 10:14 PM
  • I struggled quite a bit with this problem.

Tried all suggested solutions but none worked, until I realised the difference between two Win10 Pro machines I had running: one was connected to an Azure AD Domain (account), the other wasn't.

When connected to an account, Win10 is configured to show only the computers that are on the work (Azure) network and does not show the LAN.

It's easy to forget about this setting, because in the System section there's no domain added and your machine still seems to be on a "workgroup" level.

Solution nr. 1 > make sure your not on a domain (System) or Azure AD domain (Accounts).

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:10 AM
  • tnx fixed my problems
    Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:20 PM
  • Worked for me. Now my laptop is seen in the network but now I seem to not know my credentials. The password I use to log onto the computer isn't recognized. I would have thought the password would be the same as the Microsoft account and the name for the user account. I probably could turn off the password being necessary in the network sharing.

I did create an new credential name and password but still didn't seem to work. Used the name of the computer but maybe I used the wrong computer name and should use the same one I am on.

• Edited by mrwebber35 Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:11 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 3:42 AM
  • YES!!!  Your Services for:

• DNS Client
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host

WORKED For me...too many days to tell you how long I was looking for this fix!

THANK YOU!

Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:22 AM
  • I had the same problem, which I worked on for hours. I solved it by turning off windows defender firewall for all types of networks, public and private. In addition, I use the old windows explorer app instead of the file explorer app. Now I can see all the computers on my ethernet, windows 10 or older
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:17 PM
  • Any NAS that I have seen requires user and password to access to log onto its interface to do administrative maintenance, and a different user and password to access the files.

I have not worked with DLNA server, but you may have two levels of access. 1 to access the content on the NAS and 2 to access the DNLA server.  Trying to make the whole house system totally open may be your problem.

If you take the time to secure the entire network with users and passwords, you might work out the kinks, and have a safer network.  You have spent 85 hours troubleshooting, but you could have spent a whole lot less time securing your network with users and passwords.

Start with windows 10\settings\network&Internet\sharing options

Friday, December 21, 2018 7:45 PM

This worked for me - on Windows 10, as well as Windows Server 2012R2, 2016 and 2019 devices

Would be nice if there was a way to set this across the whole network, without having to go one computer at a time

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 1:37 AM
  • After hours of web searching and trying multiple different setting options i came across this website

How to Set Up Limited User Accounts in Windows 10
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/limited-user-accounts-windows-10

I followed the 11 steps and created an limited user account in windows 10. Signed into the new account,
    then immediately signed back into my account and wallah all my network computers plus my 2 Synology servers reappeared.

Thanks,

Steve    

I purposely signed up account to quote your post and express my deepest appreciation. I have spent HOURS testing out all the others r recommended and proposed steps or solutions work and none worked EXCEPT this. I suspect this did something similar to resetting the network configuration of Win10 to the factory default, the state it was originally on unboxing. BUT THIS REALLY WORKS !!!!!  a zillion thanks..

Sunday, May 19, 2019 3:45 PM
  • It is brilliant that Microsoft set it up to screw all their users on every Windows update! There will be a cheap Chinese version that screws Microsoft in a few years ... in the meantime, I can't see my local network drives after the latest Microsoft update. So I will be sure to switch to the cheap Chinese OS that actually works.
    Friday, May 24, 2019 3:00 PM
  • I have a 4 Windows 10 PCs on a home network with a QNAP NAS.  Each computer can be seen by at least one of the others - sometimes.  However, there's only one computer that (sometimes) shows all the others.

Many (all?) of the solutions seem to be dealing with situations where a computer can *never* see others, or can *never* be seen by others, and hence don't seem applicable to my problem.  (why did this font go small ??)

I can always access files from another computer by entering it's IP address or PC name into File Explorer

Any ideas?

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been struggling to fix my Mac/Windows network issues for weeks.  I'm so happy to have found your solution!  You really have no idea!!  

Again Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Saturday, July 13, 2019 11:48 PM