compute wont find dvd drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GSA-T20N ATA Device driver not found (error code 39) after instaling vista service pack 1 Can you help please.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 10:33 AM

Answers

• AB

When SP1 is installed, it will reinstall many of the hardware drivers that are on the system.

Open Control Panel / Device Manager.

Expand the 'DVD/CD-ROM Drives'.

Right click that device and select the 'Scan for hardware changes' option.

Try using the drive again.

If this does not work, go back into Device Manager, right click the drive again and select the 'Uninstall' option for the device.

Exit everything and reboot the computer.

The system should find the device and reinstall.

If this does not work, your best source for a solution is to contact the maker of that computer and check for updated, SP1 compatible drivers, and any known issues with that device.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 4:55 PM

All replies

• AB

When SP1 is installed, it will reinstall many of the hardware drivers that are on the system.

Open Control Panel / Device Manager.

Expand the 'DVD/CD-ROM Drives'.

Right click that device and select the 'Scan for hardware changes' option.

Try using the drive again.

If this does not work, go back into Device Manager, right click the drive again and select the 'Uninstall' option for the device.

Exit everything and reboot the computer.

The system should find the device and reinstall.

If this does not work, your best source for a solution is to contact the maker of that computer and check for updated, SP1 compatible drivers, and any known issues with that device.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Hi, i allready try the 2 options that you´re recommending but the problem persist. Do you know another way tu fix it?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:46 AM
  • Put all of your information that is Mac compatible onto an External Harddrve. Wipe out your PC. Sell it on Ebay for $2000. Get a Mac.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:40 AM
  •  

I am having the same problem (with error 10) after installing sp1 for vista.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and tried to update the driver, but still get the same result.  Since it is most apparent that I am not the only person with this issue it frosts me that microsoft made no mention of it (at least none that I saw) prior to upgrading to sp1.  Next on my list is to download a new driver but I have a feeling that the system is going to tell me (again) that my driver is up to date.  Are there any other suggestions?

Friday, November 14, 2008 2:07 PM
  •  

The same for me, today when i instal vista. my laptop didn't find dvd drive. what happened. need help. thank you

• Proposed as answer by jayeunnion Friday, October 30, 2009 4:16 PM
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:26 AM
  • wake up stupid & shove ya mac up ur ____ ya f@#kin idiot
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:04 AM
  • Second That motion
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Try removing the drive and put it back in. And see if it recognize it.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 10:01 AM