My installation of Virtual PC 2007 keeps crashing RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I am experiencing a very annoying problem which now seems to becoming more and more frequent.  Virtual PC keeps shutting down without any warning.

I am running Virtual PC 2007 on my Windows XP Professional SP3 host PC. I am using Virtual PC to run Windows 2003 R2. 

WHAT I HAVE TRIED

1. Changing from a dynamic IP address to a static IP address

2. Renaming the server.

3. Checking the Event Viewer on the host PC and the virtual pc.

4. Changing the Network Settings from Local Only and Not Connected.

5. Tried runing the virtual machine on a completely different PC.

6. Updating the graphics drivers on the host PC.

7. I have created brand new VM's and started from scratch and problem persists.

WHAT I HAVE YET TO TRY

1. There is no virus protection on the virtual machine, so this will be my next port of call.

In the meantime, does anyone know how I can diagnose this further?

UPDATE: A colleague of mine is having the same issue he has been experiencing on the same desktop PC as mine, incidentally; Dell OptiPlex 380 with Windows XP Professional SP3

If anyone can help, or make any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE 2: Updated my BIOS version to the latest - still not fixed! Arrgh!

Kind regards

Mulk

• Edited by mulkraj Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:27 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 7:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Wait, is the one Virtual Machine that is causing problems, or is it multiple VMs?

Also, I know this seems kind of basic, however, try to make sure that the computer has enough RAM to run the VM. Sometimes, Virtual PC can be glitchy in the fact that it has to close a Virtual Machine to free up RAM (to prevent crashes, I suppose).

Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Thanks Vegan Fanatic

Unfortunately I am limited to running this VM on Windows XP as XP is our company standard OS. I have tried this VM on my Windows 7 PC at home a few weeks ago and I think I had the same issue, but less severe (can check again for posterity).

I have been successfully running other VMs on this Dell machine for the past year or so. It's a strange one.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Mulk

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Hi Pentelec

I have also built two 2 new more Windows 2003 Server virtual machines for the project and they suffer from the same sporadic crashing. Other colleagues of mine have also reported the same issue; one on a Dell PC and the other on a HP machine.

I have 4GB RAM on my PC, and the VM is using 1GB.

Again fundamental I know, but I am still yet to install anti-virus (have been side-tracked with getting on with the project) this might do the trick!

Thank for your suggestion and advice.

Kind regards

Mulk

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Until you manager accepts reality and moves forward you are not going to be happy using XP as the hypervisor.

Windows MVP, paid Remote Assistance is available for XP, Vista and Windows 7.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Solicitation for paid support is not permitted in the Microsoft Public Forums 

Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Alright, for now, just try running the system on another Virtualization Program, like Oracle VirtualBox. (http://www.virtualbox.org/)

Also, I would recommend getting these two (free) programs to check for issues on the VM:

Microsoft Security Essentials: (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx)

MalwareBytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)

Hope this helps,

Pentelec

Monday, August 1, 2011 4:49 PM
  • True, Vegan Fanatic, but I was just stating another option. I do use Virtual PC often myself, but I just want to see if it works in another virtualization program. If not, then by all means, I recommend using Virtual PC (and the latest one, too), for it has excellent support of Windows Machines.

If running the machine in VirtualBox doesn't work, mulkraj, then go back to Virtual PC and try installing the anti-malware and anti-virus that I listed up above.

Hope this helps (and clears up some things),

Pentelec

Monday, August 1, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Hi Pentelec

I have installed MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes as you suggested. It has taken a few hours / attempts due to all the VM crashing but Malwarebytes managed to uncover one spurious item, which alas did not resolve the issue.

In the meantime however I have found that another machine is able to run the original VM successfully. Comparing the two PCs, it appears my PC doesn't have the same Windows updates (Automatic Updates are disabled on our PCs as a corporate standard). The successful running PC has recently been rebuilt and hence the latest updates installed as part of the build.

I have requested that these updates be installed onto my PC....let's see what happens.

Regards

Mulk

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Hi Pentelec,

Virtualbox is a working well, my virtual machine has not crashed at all. Thanks for suggesting it.

I shall update this post if I ever get to the bottom of what was causing Virtual PC to crash.

Regards

Mulk

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:46 PM