Updating but not all Office 2016, windows 10 version 1607 RRS feed

• Question

• I stood up a new windows 2012 R2 WSUS server and it seemed to be working normally.  I have a few windows 10 ver 1607 machines that are saying "your device is up to date" from the machine itself BUT when you look on the WSUS server, they are lacking around 30 updates.  All the updates seem to be Microsoft Office 2016 updates.  Those machines are getting office updates though, as I can look at the update history on the machines themselves and I see a ton of Office 2016 updates that were installed recently.  I have tried rebooting the machines, rechecking for updates, and waiting a day or 2 but those updates just don't seem to go through.  Machines that are working with those updates are ver 1703, they all seem to get the updates and install them all. 

Troubleshooting it now but wanted to post if anyone had any other ideas how this could occur, or if there is some 1607 bug that I am unaware of.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, January 15, 2018 9:53 PM

Answers

• Are those 1607 machines RTM by chance? There was a known issue with 1607 RTM that windows would not communicate properly with WSUS. Installing any CU past September 2016 fixes this issue.

If that's not it, was Office 2016 installed with an ISO from a volume license or was it installed with a click-to-run installer from O365? If the former, these systems would communicate with WSUS to get updates for office. If the latter (click to run) then the updates come directly from Microsoft and bypass WSUS, so I would check the settings within an office product's options to make sure everything is updating properly. You can't force a click-to-run install to get it's updates from WSUS currently.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by JoeyC646 Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:47 AM
  • Another part of this issue is that their are some registry keys that are getting dulplicated during a cloning process.  Those windows update keys need to be deleted and recreated.  After doing this, the machines in question were connecting to the WSUS server and staying connected.

Wanted to add this as part of the solution.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:26 PM

All replies

• Are those 1607 machines RTM by chance? There was a known issue with 1607 RTM that windows would not communicate properly with WSUS. Installing any CU past September 2016 fixes this issue.

If that's not it, was Office 2016 installed with an ISO from a volume license or was it installed with a click-to-run installer from O365? If the former, these systems would communicate with WSUS to get updates for office. If the latter (click to run) then the updates come directly from Microsoft and bypass WSUS, so I would check the settings within an office product's options to make sure everything is updating properly. You can't force a click-to-run install to get it's updates from WSUS currently.

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:04 AM
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:47 AM
  • Hi,

Are these updates showing "needed" for these Computer objects ?

If it is not needed , it won't be installed.

>>BUT when you look on the WSUS server, they are lacking around 30 updates.  All the updates seem to be Microsoft Office 2016 updates. 

Please check office 2016 edition first .

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/office_integration__sharepoint/2016/06/23/determining-your-office-version-msi-vs-c2r/ 

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:11 AM
  • I'm thinking its the click to run issue.  Me and a few other people have installed Office 365 on top of our volume licensed version so that would make sense as to why WSUS just skips those updates.  I was looking to avoid hitting the check for updates online with Microsoft BUT I hit that and all the updates were installed.  SO, I may have to have my users that have click to run application installed check for updates online?

And yes, WSUS lists that each computer in question has "needed" updates.  They just never install.

Thanks,

Joe

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:48 PM
  • Another part of this issue is that their are some registry keys that are getting dulplicated during a cloning process.  Those windows update keys need to be deleted and recreated.  After doing this, the machines in question were connecting to the WSUS server and staying connected.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:26 PM

Then let me add for everyone else that the keys you're talking about are in the following client side script that can be run on the affected systems.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    PowerShell.exe (New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate).DetectNow()

Friday, January 26, 2018 3:48 AM