Temperamental Active X Checkboxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

On Word 2013 I have created a document that has many Active X checkboxes (approx. 250) all with a macro assigned to them to populate data elsewhere on the document when they are checked. It's used in an assessment document that populates a list at the end containing relevant information.

The problem I have is after running through the assessment once ticking relevant boxes and the list is populated at the end it runs smoothly. The issues occur when I scroll back up, go to untick some boxes and tick others, I cannot. It will not let me tick random sections of boxes, when clicked it highlights the perimeter of their boxes. The only way to temporarily resolve this is to go in and out of design mode, something I do not want others using the assessment to be able to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been slaving over this many many hours.

Thanks in advance

Alistair

Monday, December 22, 2014 2:00 PM

Answers

• Do you have other kinds of controls in the document? Content controls, for example, don't play well with formfields and the same may apply to their behaviour with ActiveX controls.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, December 26, 2014 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this work before? If the problem just occurred recently, I think it's related to MS14-082 Microsoft Office Security Updates for December 2014:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2014/12/11/forms-controls-stop-working-after-december-2014-updates-.aspx

If this issue did start since the update, please try the workaround mentioned in the blog above, I suggest you try the automated solution to automatically apply the steps to auto fix, run the following Fix it package:

Fix this problem

I hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Hi, thanks for replying. 

No it has always done this since I created it in November. 

Sometimes I can tick the checkboxes, a few minutes later I can't tick the same checkboxes without going in and out of design mode. 

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:24 AM
  • Do you have other kinds of controls in the document? Content controls, for example, don't play well with formfields and the same may apply to their behaviour with ActiveX controls.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, December 26, 2014 11:00 PM