none
[SOLVED] Error Exporting Mail with StartDate/EndDate; Entire Mailbox Successful RRS feed

• Question

• The server is 2007 - the client is Windows 7 with Office 2007.

Last week I exported a user's mailbox in its entirety without issue.  On Tuesday I wanted to geneate a PST that included just the new mail by specifying a StartDate.  It doesn't immediately return an error, appears to process some messages (I see the 'move' progress indicator at the top of the shell) but then errors out.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Export-Mailbox userid -PSTFolderPath  "X:\UserPST_2-15-2013_to_Present.pst" -StartDate "02/15/2013 12:01:00"

Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Exporting mailbox content from the mailbox 'Last, First' into .pst file 'X:\UserPST_2-15-2013_to_Present.pst'. This operation may take a long time to complete.
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): a
    Export-Mailbox : Error was found for Last, First (First.Last@DOMAIN) because: Error occurred in the step: Moving messages. Failed to copy messages to the destination mailbox store with error:
    MAPI or an unspecified service provider.
    ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000, error code: -1056749164
    At line:1 char:15
    + Export-Mailbox <<<<  userid -PSTFolderPath  "X:\UserPST_2-15-2013_to_Present.pst" -StartDate "02/15/2013 12:01:00"
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (0:Int32) [Export-Mailbox], RecipientTaskException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 8ABD5E0E,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.ExportMailbox

I verified permissions Tuesday & ensured it replicated (waited until this morning & double checked permissions again this morning), followed the instructions here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd285510.aspx) but the problem persists.

I tried using various date & time formats, even dropping off the time altogether.

Again: If I run the same command without specifying a startdate, it successfully exports the entire mailbox.  (What??)

• Edited by JuliusPIV Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:59 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:18 PM

Answers

• Oddly enough, we were able to work through this problem by installing Outlook 2010.

I don't understand it, but it works.

• Marked as answer by JuliusPIV Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:59 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:59 PM

All replies

• Again: If I run the same command without specifying a startdate, it successfully exports the entire mailbox.  (What??)

Hi,
    Not sure, but it might be that you also need to specify the parameter -Enddate when using -Startdate.
    Give it a try and see if that helps.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:23 AM
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply Martina!

I'll give that a try later today.  I didn't think it would be required since it wasn't included ine some of their examples:

Export-Mailbox -Identity contoso\john -TargetMailbox ExportMailbox -TargetFolder MyData -ContentKeywords "merger" -AttachmentFilenames "*orgchart*" -StartDate "03/01/2006 12:01:00"

Will try later today.

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:18 PM
  • 2 things. 

First do you have full access to the account. 

second I believe this will only work if you export it to another mailbox and not to a PST file. I suggest create a temp account and use the same value and try it, export it to the temp account then export to pst. 

Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:20 AM
  • Hi there gnynot & thanks for the response.

I do have full access to the account.  I even re-ran the posh command to confirm & re-verified via the management console.

I'm not entirely sure that is the case; it would be really odd if it were.  Consider: when running `get-help export-mailbox` with either the `-full` or `-detailed` switches, it doesn't mention any limitations.  Furthermore, on this page here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb266964(v=exchg.80).aspx) it uses the -StartDate & -EndDate when exporting to a PST; could be a typo/mistake but that would be shocking!

Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:34 AM
  • Hi

Please try the solution on this thread to add the permission and then run the export-mailbox

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploylegacy/thread/3c75a6db-74a4-484c-a7f4-5b411900d09b/

Add-mailboxpermission -identity <mailbox you are importing to> -accessrights fullaccess -user <who you are logged in as when running the exchange managment shell>

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Zi Feng - much appreciated.

I've already done this & reconfirmed several times that I have full access to this person's mailbox.  

[PS] #>Add-mailboxpermission -identity <mailbox_user> -accessrights fullaccess -user <my_user>
    WARNING: Appropriate ACE is already present on object "CN=mailbox_user,OU=OU,DC=DC" for account "domain\my_user".

Identity             User                       AccessRights                     IsInherited Deny
    --------             ----                       ------------                           ----------- ----
    domain...         domain\my_user       {FullAccess}                        False       False

It doesn't seem to be a rights issue necessarily; the problem appears to be unique to doing an export when specifying start [and end] dates.

Thanks again!

• Edited by JuliusPIV Friday, March 1, 2013 4:57 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Hi

But the error shows it was a permission issue.

Is there any inheritance permission on the user who you are running EMS?

Could you please try a new created account?

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:06 AM
  • I tried with my own account, the account that I need to export as well as a newly created account.  Its really bonkers!  If I export the whole thing, it works fine.

Strange
    • Edited by JuliusPIV Friday, March 1, 2013 4:58 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Oddly enough, we were able to work through this problem by installing Outlook 2010.

I don't understand it, but it works.

• Marked as answer by JuliusPIV Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:59 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:59 PM