none
500 processes running drvinst.exe on DPM 2010 Server RRS feed

• Question

• Recently my DPM server had to be rebuilt.  After installing a fresh copy of 2008 R2 and DPM 2010 and restoring my DPM DB, when the server is up, I have about 500 processes of drvinst.exe running.  They've been running for two days.  Processor is at 95-100%.  I can't get logged in again, but can \\ into the drives.

There is no virus...

Any suggestions?

PTODD

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:03 PM

Answers

• After working with Microsoft on this issue, they determined that the EMC Powerpath driver install was "stuck" and was trying to complete the install (spawning about 500 processes.  After removing Powerpath 64bit, things were fine.

PTODD

Monday, December 13, 2010 3:40 AM

All replies

• After working with Microsoft on this issue, they determined that the EMC Powerpath driver install was "stuck" and was trying to complete the install (spawning about 500 processes.  After removing Powerpath 64bit, things were fine.

PTODD

Monday, December 13, 2010 3:40 AM
  • Hello PTODD,

I have the same problem. I have a DL380G5 with Windows 2008R2 and HP Supportpack 8.60, DPM2010 with hotfix rollup 3.0.7706.00. Fresh install, connected iSCSI device and these drvinst.exe keeps popping up. I have no EMC software just the stuff above. Maby u can direct me on how u determind the problem to isolate it was EMC. Thanks in advance.

Peter

• Proposed as answer by Brian James Friday, February 11, 2011 1:46 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Hello PTODD,

I have the same problem. I have a DL380G5 with Windows 2008R2 and HP Supportpack 8.60, DPM2010 with hotfix rollup 3.0.7706.00. Fresh install, connected iSCSI device and these drvinst.exe keeps popping up. I have no EMC software just the stuff above. Maby u can direct me on how u determind the problem to isolate it was EMC. Thanks in advance.

Peter

I had the same issue and what everyone is not explaining is what the drvinst.exe is doing. The drvinst.exe process is installing the partitions from your storage device and more than likely your server software is running an old version of volsnap.sys and is not able to process the partitions properly and that is why there are so many of them running. I bet you are getting volsnap errors mentioning that something cannot be installed in a certain amount of time(can’t remember exact quote)

I have 2 MD1000's with 50TB of data and just had to rebuild my box and went through the same crap 500+ drvinst.exe running forever, tons of volsnap errors and a completely unresponsive box which can be expected when there are 500+ processes. What i did to resolve the issue was rebuild my box with server 2008 R2 and installed the latest volsnap hotfix i could find (KB2299380) then ran all windows updates. On the second reboot after updates I turned on my storage device so Windows can start processing the partitions which took 6+ hours. If you have multiple storage devices you will have better luck letting windows process the partitions on the storage devices one storage device at a time.

The volsnap.sys file that comes in R2 is bugged bad and will not process large amount of partitions at one time so you will need to use the latest version of it. When you stop seeing the drvinst.exe in the running processes you should be good to go with the install of dpm. Check your logs and make sure you dont see any further "UserPnp" entries as well for every drvinst.exe process you will get a UserPnp log entry. Beware that you will not be able to run the two hotfixes listed in the dpm 2010 pre-requisites after running the latest volsnap.sys hotfix (KB2299380) and running all windows updates. It’s not a big deal since they are newer files then the hotfixes listed in the dpm 2010 pre-requisites.

Brian James

BECO

• Proposed as answer by Brian James Friday, February 11, 2011 1:46 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:46 AM

PTODD

Typical.... Blame the other software company.

Friday, February 11, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Bump
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Hi Brian,

we have the same problem after reinstall DPM hosted Server 2008 R2.

The Server inkludes SP1 so I think it's the right version of the volsnap.sys (6.1.7601.17514).

My question:

There are many many drvinst.exe processes running on the Server with 0% CPU count.

The topic writer of this tread reported high CPU load. Which behavior had you observe?

Is it the right way to simply wait some hours?

Best regards, Alexander Zirbes
    Monday, July 11, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Hotfix KB2406705, KB2536875 and KB2505454 solves our problem...

Best regards, Alexander Zirbes
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:04 PM