VMMC - All hosts not responding since we changed former IT Managers password RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have recently started in a new role and inherited systems which I haven't used before including System Center 2019 Virtual Machine Manager which is running on a Server 2019 virtual machine.

I disabled the former IT Managers account and straight away, the status showed 'Host Not Responding' for all the virtual machines on the cluster. I had a lot of problems at the time so re-enabled the account and it worked straight away.

A week or so on we had to change the former IT Managers password to get into a another system and straight away, I have the same problem.

I have checked Services and can't see his user account is being used to log on to the service. System Center Virtual Machine manager is using a specific account that has been created for this task and System Center Virtual Machine Manager Agent is using local system.

I have tried restarting the server and tried adding myself to the Virtual machine Manager Servers group but whether I use the option for 'Current Microsoft Windows session identity or specify credentials in Domain\Username, whenever I connect all hosts still show as not responding.

Can anyone please help me fix this.

Many thanks in advance.

• Edited by Gary OConnor Thursday, December 19, 2019 10:29 AM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 10:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Gary,

Just as Leon said, please check the credentials stored in Run As Accounts. 

Basically, the account is used to run VMM tasks and processes. If the password was changed, you should also update the password in the VMM.

You can find the settings of Run As Accounts at Settings - Run As Accounts from the VMM console.

Please see the following screenshot for more details.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Gary OConnor Monday, December 23, 2019 8:51 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2019 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Gary,

Could you please provide us the exact error of the "Host Not Responding"? This would help us to narrow down the root cause of the issue.

I would start by checking the User Roles and Run As Accounts within SCVMM.
    Manage roles and permissions in VMM

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, December 19, 2019 3:57 PM
  • Hi Gary,

Just as Leon said, please check the credentials stored in Run As Accounts. 

Basically, the account is used to run VMM tasks and processes. If the password was changed, you should also update the password in the VMM.

You can find the settings of Run As Accounts at Settings - Run As Accounts from the VMM console.

Please see the following screenshot for more details.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Gary OConnor Monday, December 23, 2019 8:51 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2019 5:41 AM
  • Hi Leon/Andy,

Thank you both for replying, I really appreciate this.

I haven't got remote access yet so wont be able to check until Monday but i'm pretty sure you are both going to be spot on with this suggestion :-)

I will check Monday and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again!

Friday, December 20, 2019 5:52 PM
  • Hello Gary,

It's glad to hear that the info is useful.

I'm looking forward to the feedback, and hope it can be fixed.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Monday, December 23, 2019 3:08 AM
  • Hi Andy/Leon,

Just to confirm it was the Run As Account and self-service owner that needed changing.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Gary

Monday, December 23, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Sorry, i'm back for another query that could be related.

Although Virtual Machine manager appears to be working just fine, it is showing 'unsupported cluster configuration'

I have tried restarting the virtual machine. Do I need to try and run a repair from VMM (although it looks like this will just remove the error, not fix it to me)

This is what I am seeing:

Monday, December 23, 2019 1:04 PM
  • Hello Gary,

It's glad to here the issue was fixed eventually.

For the another question, I would recommend to submit a new question on this forum, so that it's convenience to track and view by other community member.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Thursday, December 26, 2019 8:43 AM
  • Hello,

To make the thread clear to read, I write a summary here:

Issue Symptom:

After the password of the Run-As-Account was changed from the domain controller, the hosts were not responding on the SCVMM console.

(Possible) Cause:

The password of the Run As Account was not updated from the SCVMM console.

Solution:

From the VMM console, navigate to Settings - Run As Accounts, and change the password of the Run As Account.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Friday, December 27, 2019 1:55 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll get that posted now.

Many Thanks

Gary

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 10:00 AM