Visitors do not get "New items are added" alerts for list with Content Approval on. RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Announcements list on our HR site that everyone in the company is encouraged to have an alert for. Recently (due to a premature posting that caused some embarrasement) they (HR) requested to turn on content approval for that list. This has caused an issue that surfaced last week. People who set up their alert to send alerts when new items are added do not get alerts now. This makes a certain amount of sense when you consider that when the item was added, they did not have the necessary permissions to see it. But that now leaves me with a quandry of how to reconcile HR's need to have approvals for the list and have people be able to sign up for alerts tailored to their needs.

My first idea (once I narrowed down the issue) was to also have version tracking hoping that the approved version would be seen as "new" for purposes of the alert, but that didn't work.

I'm looking for any ideas on how to resolve this without asking a significant number of users to recreate their alerts. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    FT

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:00 PM

Answers

• Sorry I'm late responding back.

To be clear, the issue is not that alerts aren't sending, it is that the criteria isn't being met. The list in question has content approval turned on (in versioning) and pending items are only visible to editors/approvers. This means that a reader will never see a new item when it is added because they do not have permissions to see it when it is added. That means an alert set to fire when "new items are added" is useless if you are a reader. I've confirmed this by having one of the affected users change their alert setting from new items to any change.

So my general question had been how to work around this. The solution I am going to implement is:

1. Add some javascript functions to the alerts page (SubNew.aspx) that will examine the query string for this list's guid and hide the new item option i fit matches.
    2. Write a simple console app to switch existing alerts from new items to all changes.

This will prevent new users from having the option to set a new items alert for that list and will clean up the existing alerts. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this issue.

FT

• Marked as answer by FolcoTook Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:33 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:32 PM

All replies

• hi check this , http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976440 hope this helps Cheers VJ
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:35 PM
  • I saw that earlier and will probably give it a try in DEV to see if it does fix my problem. The issue described doesn't fit mine exactly though. In the KB article, the issue is described as "In Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, you have permission to view items in a document library as defined by the Draft Item Security setting." However, in my case the Visitors do NOT have permission to view draft/unapproved items. I may give it a go and see how it works though. I'll update with results.

UPDATE: As I was afraid, that doesn't appear to solve the issue. The problem I'm running into is users who are signing up for "New Item" alerts, but due to the settings for Content Approval, they don't have permissions to view items when they are first created. Anyone know of a feature that adds "when approved" to the alerts settings?  ;)

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Try to do this on the server

Enable Alerts 
    stsadm -o setproperty -propertyname alerts-enabled -propertyvalue true -url http://Web_App-URL

And if you want this to happen right away you should Restart the timer services by going to RUN > Services.msc and restarting a service called  " Windows Sharepoint Services timer"

after which this command should follow :
    stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
    Roi
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by FolcoTook Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:33 PM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Sorry I'm late responding back.

To be clear, the issue is not that alerts aren't sending, it is that the criteria isn't being met. The list in question has content approval turned on (in versioning) and pending items are only visible to editors/approvers. This means that a reader will never see a new item when it is added because they do not have permissions to see it when it is added. That means an alert set to fire when "new items are added" is useless if you are a reader. I've confirmed this by having one of the affected users change their alert setting from new items to any change.

So my general question had been how to work around this. The solution I am going to implement is:

1. Add some javascript functions to the alerts page (SubNew.aspx) that will examine the query string for this list's guid and hide the new item option i fit matches.
    2. Write a simple console app to switch existing alerts from new items to all changes.

This will prevent new users from having the option to set a new items alert for that list and will clean up the existing alerts. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this issue.

FT

• Marked as answer by FolcoTook Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:33 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:32 PM