Split a contentDB that only has 1 site collection on it. RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked through the other topics available on this situation.  I would like to get someone's opinion on this.  I have 1 site collection within 1 contentDB.  I have a lot of custom content types created.  And my contentDB is 250GBs.  I wanted to use SQL Server 2008 R2 to split the content database into 100GB files.  Is this possible?  And if it is... are there any instrucitons on how to accomplish this?

Thanks for the advice in advance,
    sroye_98

Best Regards, sroye_98
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:19 AM admin q not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:25 PM

Answers

• You can split the content database into multiple files for performance reasons, but you can't have a site collection spanning multiple databases.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:52 PM

All replies

• You can split the content database into multiple files for performance reasons, but you can't have a site collection spanning multiple databases.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

How to split the content database query similar query has been answere in the MS technet forum.

Refer the URL for splitting the content database

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/f4acbf37-d4f0-4365-bf9a-4dfb724057dd/

Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with Veera and Nehruraj’s opinions.

Did you resolve your issue?

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Friday, August 26, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Hi guys,

So sorry for the late response.  I got side tracked on an Oracle project.  I have asked this question to a Microsoft Gold Partner as well.  It looks like this can't be done.  I am going to script out migration of my sites to new site collections and do it that way.  The only thing I don't know how to do is creating a Global Navigation and URL Rewrite on IIS7.5.  Can someone point me in the right direction for this?

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

I truly do appreciate it,
    Saachi Roye

Best Regards, sroye_98
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:11 PM
  • I figured out how to implement the IIS 7.5 URL Rewrite.  Just for anyone else who is searching for this.  I ended up creating a Rewrite Map which had my rules in it.  Then created a "Rule with rewrite map" and updated it to do a redirect instead of a rewrite.  That is working for my case, but I am sure it can be just as easy to update for the rewrite rule.  Now I am left with creating custom Global Top Navigation to span across all the site collections.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Saachi Roye

Best Regards, sroye_98
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to know you have resolved your issue, for the issue about customizing Global Top Navigation to span across all the site collections. I suggest that you open a new thread.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, September 5, 2011 2:53 AM