Internet browsing uses 100% cpu RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody.

This situation has driven me crazy the last 4 months and till now i have not figure it out.

Everytime i have a video streaming in my computer, CPU usage goes to 100%. It happens every time, either using internet explorer or Firefox or Google chrome. Even when i have a skype video call or a gtalk video call. Some description of each one:

Using internet explorer: While i am watching a youtube video, CPU limits up to 100% after 1 minute or sometime 5 minutes. I am not able to watch a 15min video. Internet explorer process uses 100%CPU. When i kill it via task manager, another instance of IE appears with the same CPU usage. I also kill it and then 4 or 5 instances of rundll32.exe appear consuming 100CPU. If i kill them, explorer.exe uses 100% of cpu. If i do nothing and just wait, CPU is 100% for two hours. If i just kill only IE instances, taskmngr.exe is consuming 40-50% of CPU for 1-2 minutes, then other processes like conhost or csrss consumes the same amount of CPU and after 4-5 minutes everything comes back to normal. That's the story everytime i use IE 11.0.9600.16518

Using Firefox: While video streaming, flash player process consumes all CPU. When i kill it, the same behaviour described above occurs.

Using Google Chrome: When i run it, 5-6 instances of google chrome appear in task manager and after some time this browser also hungs with 100CPU.

All above are also happening while i run Skype either i have a video call or just text messaging. Sometimes svchost is 25-30 % and system hungs.

Operating system is Windows 7 home premium 64bit with SP1, my graphics card is NVidia Gforce GT 230M (latest drivers 20% when these situations occur, my system is extremely slow and whatever i do, it limits up CPU usage.

Any assistance is acceptable.  Thanks for the patience.

Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:45 AM

All replies

• 1. You are a hero. I would try to solve it sooner or reinstall operating system.

2. Use Process Monitor and Process Explorer to diagnose your system

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/sysinternals

Consult your findings in forum

http://forum.sysinternals.com/

Regards

Milos

PS: It does not hurt to diagnose HDD and RAM too.

• Edited by Milos Puchta Saturday, March 8, 2014 10:13 AM
    • Proposed as answer by blair deng Monday, March 10, 2014 8:09 AM
    Saturday, March 8, 2014 10:11 AM
  • Hello Milos,

I do not want to format my laptop because of my job nature. It could be very difficult for me to install and configure all applications installed. In our case now. I tried several workarounds during this time. I 'll try it and INFORM you about the results. How am i going to diagnose HDD and RAM?

Best Regards,

Monday, March 10, 2014 6:13 AM
  • Hi,

First, I would suggest that you reduce the hardware acceleration on the computer and check if it helps.

a. Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.

b. Click Advanced Settings, click the Troubleshoot tab, and then click Change settings.

c. Note that some video card drivers do not permit you to change settings.

d. Move the Hardware acceleration slider toward None to reduce or turn off video hardware acceleration.

This issue can be caused by confliction from one of the background programs or add-ons.

You may use Process explorer as Milos mentioned to find the root cause to fix the issue:

Process explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

You can follow the references below to troubleshoot the issue:

1. 3RD part app: Remove to check the issue
    2. Drivers: Update or install compatible version
    3. System process/service: Upload the log file for analyzing.

I also would like to suggest you use Windows Performance Recorder to check the issue:

Troubleshooting Windows Performance Issues Using the Windows Performance Recorder

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/03/22/troubleshooting-windows-performance-issues-using-the-windows-performance-recorder.aspx

To diagnose HDD and RAM,  I would like to suggest you contact your computer vender.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by blair deng Monday, March 10, 2014 8:19 AM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 8:15 AM
  • A. Testing RAM and HDD

For simple RAM testing use memtest http://www.memtest.org/ Run at least 10 cycles (paths).

For HDD testing get know what type and vendor your disk is. This information is in Device Manager (Win+Pause/Break -> Device Manager) Then visit HDD vendor's web pages and find diagnostics tool. If you do not manage to find tools, contact technical support.

B. System limits

You have not given information on the RAM memory. If there is not enough memory, system may use excessive paging to HDD. And is HDD is slow, then CPU has alot of work and load increases. RAM 4GB may not be enough. I would recommend 8GB. In notebooks there is relatively low speed of CPU due to the power consumption requirement.

GT230M is low end graphics card a no miracles can be expected. If your computer is notebook, use graphics driver from notebook vendor. Ask vendor support for diagnostics tool.

Try your system in Safe Mode (in boot via F8)

C. Unwanted software

Make sure that there is no unwanted software in your computer. Update your AV and run long test.

D. Application software

I have found that Outlook 2013 is causing similar problems in my computer that have 4GB RAM. (Though my case is less effective, because of integrated video. CPU in my case runs on 2.13GHz)

Try to kill programs in background to find the possible cause of interaction.

E. Reveal the content of Event logs, namely teh errors and warnings. System may tell us more relevant information.

Regards

Milos

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:54 AM
  • Hello Blair.

I downloaded the process explorer tool. I run it while internet explorer played video on youtube. After three or four minutes CPU went to 100%. I then right clicked on ie process and selected "created dump file choice" which is approximatelly 300MB and notepad cannot read it (it takes 5 minutes to open it). What am i suppose to do with this tool?

EDIT: I started the computer in safe mode with networking boot. Everything works perfectly. How am i going to check which service/process is responsible for all these?
    • Edited by thanos2121 Monday, March 17, 2014 8:13 AM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 9:10 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update and sorry for my late reply.

As I know, you can use windbg tool to read the dump file.

For more information, you may refer to:

Identifying Memory Leak With Process Explorer And Windbg

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alikl/archive/2009/02/15/identifying-memory-leak-with-process-explorer-and-windbg.aspx

Safe Mode starts Windows with the absolute minimum drivers and services that are possible to start the operating system. Safe Mode with Networking starts Windows with the same set of drivers and services as Safe Mode but also includes those necessary for the networking services to function.If Safe mode with network works, the problem may be caused by a third-party service that is loading.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Hello Blair.

There are two nvidia services, nvidia network service and nvidia streamer service. I disabled these two services. The only change is that my computer does not need so much time to become ready for browsing again. But problem still persists. Internet explorer crashes and then 4-5 instances of rundll32 use almost all CPU and mozilla firefox and flash player use 100 cpu.

How am i going to check which service causes this? I cannot handle it any more

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Did you able to scan it and see if there have any virus/malware installed on your computer? Please also check if there have any suspected processes on process monitor. 
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:21 PM
  • Hello Jacky.

SYstem was scanned twice by SEP and once by malware bytes. Nothing specific noted except two-three threats that were cleaned. So, this is not about virus. This is about a mulfunction between some Services.

Friday, March 21, 2014 12:28 PM
  • How to Fix the Rundll32.exe Error

http://www.compuchenna.co.uk/rundll32-exe-error/

You can also use Hijackthis tool to fix incorrect options/item.

we previous use Hijackthis tool to fix incorrect options/item.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:29 AM
  • Hello everybody.

The rundll32.exe that runs everytime i terminate IE via task manager is about cleaning history of IE. I changed it, the rundll32 does not appear in taskmanager, CPU usage is about 15-50% but problem still remains. IE hangs during video streaming and then CPU usage is divided in taskmgr.exe and Explorer.exe. For example, when this situation happens, a simple refresh on desktop holds about 3-4 seconds and Explorer service goes to 50% CPU.

I uninstalled all adobe flash programs and installed them again (followed a procedure described in adobe forums) but problem remains.

It is obviouw that something goes wrong with either the video card ( NVidia Gforce GT 230M) or Flash because when i boot my pc in safe mode with networking, nothing happens during video streaming.

Any other help???

Thursday, April 3, 2014 8:18 AM
  • I have also encountered the same issue and i reckon its due to operating system. Simply use windows 8 or 8.1 . In windows 8 or 8.1 CPU usage is much less and the whole pressure is transferred on RAM.
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:10 PM
  • First Of <g class="gr_ gr_171 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="171" id="171">All</g> Know What is the Internet? then You Will Get the Answer of Your Question Instantly Why Internet Browser Uses 100%  CPU?

• Edited by YouTech.OOO Saturday, July 27, 2019 4:48 PM
    Saturday, July 27, 2019 4:47 PM