none
Portfolio Management RRS feed

• Question

• Being very new to Project 2013 and trying to setup an initial testing environment on our Office 365 portal (we are using the email portion and testing the SharePoint portion - while using on-prem SP2010 in prod)....my PMO team wants to use Portfolio Management online without actually entering projects.  Is that even possible?  I think they were hoping to manually enter milestones for Project Names to do/test the Portfolio Mgmt portion. 

Also, I have been told two different things, but is it possible for my PMO team to actually test and run Project 2013 strictly online without me setting up Project 2013 Server on-premise?

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:29 PM

All replies

• To answer your question, seems you have two questions as below

Can you test and run Project 2013 strictly online without setting up Project 2013 Server On premise?

Answer is Yes you can run project online as you would run project server on premise, of course there are few limitations which you can find here however if you want to try portfolio management there is barely any difference that you would notice

my PMO team wants to use Portfolio Management online without actually entering projects.  Is that even possible?  I think they were hoping to manually enter milestones for Project Names to do/test the Portfolio Mgmt portion

Not sure what do you mean by using portfolio management without entering projects, if you don't enter projects you won't have any data to play with,
    you can manually enter the data but it would take some considerable effort to populate the entire dataset along with Resource plans to play with all functionalities,

on the other hand, Just in case if you want to have some data available(not surreal) you can create a demo tenant https://www.microsoftofficedemos.com/  with prepopulated data or if you can get the data pump available for partners to populate the data in your online environment you will have some good data to play with

Thanks | epmXperts | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:46 PM