Windows hangs when unlocking the desktop (intermittent) RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 Pro running on an HP EliteBook 2540p.  The laptop's screen saver is set to require a password to unlock the desktop after 30 minutes of idle time.

When unlocking the desktop though, Windows will hang intermittently at the login screen.  It probably happens about 3 out of every 5 times I unlock the desktop. 

I hit ctrl+alt+del, enter my password and hit Enter.  It will sit there on that same screen.  No spinning blue wheel (I still have an arrow).  I can click in the password box retype the password and the computer just stays at that same screen.  If I do nothing after entering the password and hitting Enter and wait about 2 minutes, it will log in and Windows performs normally afterwards.

It is not exclusive to after the screen saver locks the desktop.  I can force the desktop to lock and then immediately log back in and have the same thing happen.

This problem never happens on boot up, just after the desktop locks.  I have it set to never go to sleep.

All Windows Updates are up-to-date.  I’ve also gone to HP’s site to update the BIOS and hardware drivers.

Not sure what else to try.  Any ideas?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:35 PM

Answers

• time to backup and install windows clean

usually when your machine is that degraded its faster than trying 1001 fixes to fluke onto the mess

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:29 AM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:12 PM
  • This issue can be caused by background programs. You may boot in Clean Boot Mode to make a test and find the root cause.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:14 AM

All replies

• This issue can be caused by background programs. You may boot in Clean Boot Mode to make a test and find the root cause.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:14 AM