none
Recently opened projects in file menu - Project Pro 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Weird behavior for one of my 2007 users (yes we still have those).

The file menu is showing the same names of project files and the names are not changing when different files are being opened.

When he opens a project that is located as '1' let's say his name is 'A', another file opens, let's say 'B', wrong file.

I checked this issue and it appears that the recently files method is working, meaning if i will open 'C' file as the last one, when i will click on the first name on the recently list 'C' will open, but the name is stuck on 'A'.

this means that the users can't tell by the names what are the real recently files, something in the file names got stuck.

I even tried to remove the marking of 'Recently used file list' in Options.  but all the 9 names remain.

It just doesn't refresh.

Someone had this issue or know what can i do with it?  (besides upgrading to a normal version...)

Thanks!

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Sunday, May 31, 2015 11:46 AM

All replies

• Ofir,

I've never heard of this type of behavior before but here are a couple of suggestions.

1. Create a new default Project Global file by closing out of Project, locating the working Global file, renaming it or moving it to the trash, and then re-open Project. A new default Global will automatically be created.

2. If that doesn't work, try a repair of Project through the Windows Control Panel

3. If that doesn't work, you may have a corrupt user profile. Start here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

And just for reference, Project 2007 is a "normal" version, although some users may argue that.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, May 31, 2015 8:21 PM
  • >> And just for reference, Project 2007 is a "normal" version, although some users may argue that.

I agree with John.

Just in case, also try this:

Exit Project, and then run Regedit, locate Recent File List here at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Office > 12.0 > MS Project | Recent File List

right-click and delete it. Exit Regedit, do some file open/save operations in Project and see how it goes with the recent file list. 

Sunday, May 31, 2015 9:11 PM
  • Hi John,

First, i agree that it is a normal version and it works, it is just and old one that most companies does not use anymore, it is no longer supported and generally it had and still has many bugs.  not the best or most stable version of Project / Project server (i have worked with Project 2003 and it was more stable in my opinion).

One question, by default Project Global file, you mean to delete Global.MPT?

Can you explain the best and safest way?

Monday, June 1, 2015 7:59 AM
  • Hi 

The  Regedit idea did not work.

I deleted the folder and when i opened Project i still saw the same 9 file names, if i tried to open them from recent list nothing happened.

When i open and saved some files, still the list didn't change, in regedit the folder was created again with 9 files.  (File1 - File9)

Monday, June 1, 2015 9:09 AM
  • It's a long shot, but try cleaning up the MRU items using a tool such as ccleaner, and run a repair on Project 2007.  BTW I have several organisation still using 2007, just because it's unsupported does not mean people don't still derive huge value out of it.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, June 1, 2015 10:10 AM
  • Hi Ben

Thanks for the tip, i am not sure what MRU is but i will check this options.

I know that 2007 still have great value, i am working with one organization that is still with 2007 and is going to upgrade this year, and we were working with another one that had 2003 until a year ago.

I am familiar with all the values that 2007 has but also with some disadvantages, it can provide great value even without MS support, but i did ran into some bugs that have major effect and no one will resolve them.

Also, of course when i see the value that the next version has, i realize all the goods and bads.

I will keep working on your suggestions and update.

Monday, June 1, 2015 11:55 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. 
    Monday, June 1, 2015 12:37 PM
  • Hi John

I have tried to delete the global file, it didn't work.

I was trying to repair but the process didn't complete and had a message about it.

Do you think that uninstall and install can help?

Ofir

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:36 AM
  • Ofir,

First, are you sure you deleted the working Global file? On a Windows XP machine, the working Global will be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\[computer name]\Application Data\Microsfot\MS Project\12\1033

For Windows 7 and I assume 8, the working Global will be something like:

C:\Users\[computer name]\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft\MS Project\12\1033

What message did you get when you tried a repair of Project?

An uninstall and re-install may or may not help but I'm wondering if it's more related to Windows than it is to the Project application. Is your version of Windows up to date?

John

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:57 PM
  • I will re check the Global.MPT file deletion on 

C:\Users\[computer name]\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft\MS Project\12\1033

All Users have Windows 7.

Windows are updates automatically via the organization network.

The message on repair was something like "Repair was not completed successfully"

Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:05 AM
  • Ofir,

For Project 2010 and Project 2013, updates are now installed under the Windows update process. However, I don't know if that also applies to Project 2007. Just to check, what is the complete version number for your installation of Project 2007?

If you got a message saying a repair was not completed successfully, that would seem to indicate there is an issue. Perhaps the best approach is an un-install and re-install of Project 2007.

John

Thursday, June 4, 2015 1:54 PM