Exchange 2007 peer mail servers RRS feed

• General discussion

• Please  I just ran across the term Exchange 2007 peer mail server and I feel dumb but have no idea what is meant by this

Could some give quick explanation?

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:57 PM

All replies

• Never head of it, but 'peer' usually means something similar at the same level.  Where did you read the term?

Mobile OWA For Smartphone
    www.leederbyshire.com
    email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Lee

I thought the same thing. I am setting up AVST's CallXpress Unified Messaging and documentation mentioned Exchange peer mail servers and I could not find anything and thought well AVST has its own terminology which they need to articulate in their documentation

thanks for quick response

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:09 PM
  • They are UM specific terminologies.

VMSC - VMD - Messaging - Servers Tab

Use the Messaging dialog box, Servers tab to view a list of the Modular Messaging servers and primary peer Exchange servers for a voice mail domain. The peer server is the message store server that MASs communicate with when sending and receiving voice messages.

Understanding Peer Servers

When initially installed, an MAS is configured to have a single Microsoft Exchange server handle message storage and processing for subscribers. This Exchange server is known as the primary peer server. Each MAS in the system configuration has an assigned primary peer server, though all MASs may share the same primary peer server.

You can identify and configure additional peer servers within the voice mail domain that can handle messaging on behalf of subscribers, if the primary peer server fails. Thus, if the primary peer server for an MAS fails, the MAS can search for another peer server to allow messaging to continue. Each MAS in the system is assigned its own list of non-primary peer servers for backup relief.

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:46 PM