Remove/Grey Out Shutdown Option from Start Menu in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am managing a lab environment where I only want users to be exclusively allowed to Restart computers.  I have Restart as the primary option while all other options (Hibernate, Switch user, Log off, Lock, Sleep) are either greyed out or removed.  I have done this through a combination of registry settings and group policy settings.  I need to be able to either grey out or remove the Shutdown option from this list.  I know there is nothing in group policy that will not achieve the result I want.  Is this even possible through the registry or any other means?

Another option I would be satisfied with is if I could just remove all those options in the bottom right of the Start Menu all together, so nothing is present.

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my experience, this can not be achieved. You may disable the Shutdown and Restart option via GPO, but the log off and switch user will be available after doing that. So this is by design. You can not let the Shutdown and Restart option disappear in Start Menu at the same time.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, May 30, 2011 6:16 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my experience, this can not be achieved. You may disable the Shutdown and Restart option via GPO, but the log off and switch user will be available after doing that. So this is by design. You can not let the Shutdown and Restart option disappear in Start Menu at the same time.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, May 30, 2011 6:16 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:56 AM
  • If I cannot make the Shutdown and Restart option disappear altogether at the same time (excluding GPO), how can I make just the Shutdown option disappear?

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

No, you can not make just the Shutdown option disappear as well. The Group Policy will make the Shudown and Restart, Sleep and Hibernate options together.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:41 AM