Nested Virtualization and Hyper-V containers RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing Windows Container technologies for my organization and am not sure I'm having success with the Hyper-V containers.  I am testing with a bare-metal installation of Server 2016 TP4 with Hyper-V installed.  The docker stuff works fine but with Hyper-V I'm not so sure.  The Quick Start directions tell me I need a nested virtualization-enabled installation of Hyper-V to do this, but doesn't explain what that means.  The only instructions I can find for enabling are for enabling nesting in a vm.  Does that mean I need to create a virtualized container host to test this? Or are Hyper-V containers strictly available only in a virtualized container host?  I can successfully start a container with the Hyper-V container command in teh quick start but it looks like any other Docker container.  I was expecting it to be plugged into the hypervisor and it wasn't.  Is there a way to enable a physical server installation for this since there is no vm name or processor.  Thanks.
    Friday, April 15, 2016 1:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi reyn002

This article should help.

http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/microsoft-hyper-v-articles/management/windows-and-hyper-v-containers-windows-server-2016.html

You are correct that Hyper-V containers run inside a VM (with Hyper-V installed - hence nested Hyper-V)

These images will help too.

This extra layer of isolation protects the physical host OS from any contamination and Windows / Docker containers from any access to the Hyper-V containers under that VM.

Yours

Ed

If this was helpful please mark as an answer

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:15 PM
  • Hi Reyno002,

I suppose the reply is helpful and I would mark it as answer.

If you have any further questions, welcome to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:49 AM
  • It's taken some time to get back to this with everything else going on around here.  So, if this is the answer, and I'm not saying it's not, then what's the evidence that this container runs in Hyper-V?  It certainly doesn't show up in Hyper-V manager when it's running.  How do I determine that there is isolation being provided to the container by Hyper-V?  If I don't have Hyper-V installed on my server, I can still create the image and run the container and I get no warnings.  Is there a Hyper-V role built into Powershell?  Is there some document somewhere that I'm not finding that explains what's going on?  Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 1:15 PM