none
"Outlook could not create the work file" error when you start Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I have Outlook 2010 and Windows 8.1.  When attempting to open e-mail in Outlook 2010 or documents in Word I get the following error:

"Outlook could not create the work file.  Check the temp environment variable."

I've read several Microsoft KB articles and several forums on this issue.  According to these articles, This problem occurs when the Cache string value in the registry doesn't point to a valid directory.  The solution provided is to:

Locate and then click the following subkey:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Right-click the Cache key, and then click Modify.  Then modify the sting value to:  %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

When performing this step, the cache value was already set to the value above.  I attempted to overwrite by typing the same value for the string, but that did not solve the problem.  I attempted to change it to a different value, save it, and then modify it to the correct value and save it, but that did not solve the problem.  I also attempted to go in to the INetCache folder under Users\"user"l\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache, rename it, recreate a new folder and copy all subfolders into it, and that did not solve the problem.  

I am out of things to try from the user forums I have researched.  Appreciate any insight anyone might have on how I can solve this problem.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 12:10 AM

Answers

All replies