how to transfer user setting from word 2002 to word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 5 users. They are using windows xp sp2 machine. These users are using word 2002 and setup their macro, auto correct etc. We are replacing their machine with windows 7, office 2010. The users are asking that their fonts,macro,auto correct setting in word 2002 should be exactly be the same in word 2010. How can I transfer their word 2002 setting and macro into word 2010? I searched through the forum but did not get the proper answer?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Harish

• Moved by Max Meng Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:04 AM Moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Excel IT Pro Discussions)
    Monday, April 16, 2012 12:55 PM

All replies

• Wow...

I'm not sure if you can do that. I would take a look in the resource kit. Macro's may work. Auto correct, I doubt that would be possible. Migrating the font's would be possible.

Why not just give the clients the ability to run both versions?

Regards, Bill

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:20 AM
  • Hi Harish,

The first thing to do is backup each individual users Normal.dot template. Keep that them separate because each user might have personalized them with various styles, macros, etc. Rename it NormalBackup.dot. When the users get their new machine you can add the NormalBackup.dot file to their user templates directory.  Then they can open a new Word 2010 document, attach the NormalBackup.dot template to it and use Organizer to transfer, Macros, styles, etc to their new Normal.dotm template that Word 2010 creates.

Fonts have to be dealt with separately. They are controlled by the OS and not Word. You'll have to find the original source files of the Fonts and reload them onto the new machines.

The AutoCorrect libraries also will have to be dealt with separately.  I don't recall if Word 2002 dealt differently with the ACL libraries, so here is a link to a couple of VBA macros I wrote that backup the ACL entries. We use them to transfer entries between PCs and Macs, but they should run fine in your environment.  Macros to Backup and Restore ACL.

Finally here is a link to a Microsoft Support article on Moving AutoCorrect Entries. It should help you with pathnames and an alternative technique if you didn't want to go the macro approach.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Monday, April 23, 2012 1:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:35 AM
  • Rich,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will try it out tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Harish

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Rich,

I still have problem. I copied the Normal.Dot from user's xp machine and saved it on my thumb drive. I rename it NormalBackup.dot. I put NormalBackup.dot in "C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Roaming\Template\Normal.dot in new machine windows 7 with word2010.I then attached it to the Template using Developer tab-->Document Template and selected 'Automatically update style'--OK. I tried to test it out and typed in BD1 this was created by user in word 2002 and it should have displayed "On__________________, the above named client reported.......'. in he bold. When I typed in BD1 and pressed enter . The page is still blank. I am not sure if I missed anything or not? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Harish

Monday, April 23, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

I put NormalBackup.dot in"C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Roaming\Template\Normal.dot in new machine windows 7 with word2010.

"Normal.dot"? There should be a template named "Normal.dotm". The file "NormalBackup.dot" should be saved side by side to Normal.dotm. I hope, you didn't replace Normal.dotm.

I then attached it to the Template using Developer tab-->Document Template and selected 'Automatically update style'--OK.

you attached a template to a template? I think, that is not possible. When starting Word, the Normal.dotm is opend. Then you can use (as already mentioned by Rich) "Developer tab | Document Template | Organizer" to copy styles, and macros from NormalBackup.dot to Normal.dotm.
    To use the former AutoText entries you can copy them from NormalBackup.dot to the Building Blocks.dotx: Insert | Quick Parts | Building Blocks Organizer. Alternatively, you can save (a link to) NormalBackup.dot in the StartUp folder of Word.
    The best way, however, would be minimizing the risk of legacy: Create new, clean templates, new quick parts, test the macros before copying ...

Lisa
    [MS MVP Word]

Monday, April 23, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Lisa & Rich,

I am not familiar with word. I was assigned this task to transfer user's setting and their auto correct entries into their new computer. Can you guide me like how to transfer their Auto correct text,entries,setting,macro? I read  through several forum article on how to do it, but it does not work for me. I would appreciate if you can guide me through the step by step article.

Thank you,

Harish

Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:47 AM