none
Customizing Windows 10 - Wallpaper, Screen Saver AND LockScreen

Question

• The communications departament put images on a specific folder and a daily routine copies to a central location and then, distributes to all my PCs, so, the communication departament could create and deploy its own images and send news and information to the users using wallpaper, slide show screen saver and keeping the lock screen updated with some useful information

I have PC GPOs to deploy JPG and BMP files to all my Windows 7 machines and another USER GPO to configure colors, slideshow of screen saver, wallpaper and so on.

Now, i need to create the same set of configurations for Windows 10, how can i do that?

I need to copy several JPG and BMP files to windows 10, but i´ve noticed the c:\windows\web folder and there is a big folder tree (different from windows 7) and i´m not sure where i can put all those files (i have a file for wallpaper, a file for lockscreen and 4 other files to use as slideshow screensaver)

An, in WIndows 10, the lockscreen is also different from window s7 and the same procedure does not work anymore. I can´t use 3rd-party tools and i only can use default windows client and server technologies and i think GPO is the best method.

How can I do that? can I customize lock screen in windows 10? can I force screensaver with slide show?

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 12:32 PM

All replies

• To change the wallpaper you would do the gpo: user configuration > Admintemplates > Desktop > Desktop

Enable Active Desktop and Desktop Wallpaper (your background image.jpg)

you would also need to run a script on log off to clear the cache or the images don't change when you change them. (if you call them the same name that is) if you have an image called desktop.jpg and you overwrite it then you will need a script that clears the cache.

I run this batch file on log off: 

@echo off
    echo.
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /f /v "TranscodedImageCache" /t REG_BINARY /d ""
    echo.
    echo Import Complete.

To set the lock screen

Computer Configuration > Admintemplates > Control Panel > Personalization

Policy: Force a specific default lock screen image

Slideshow:

As far as I'm aware if you allow slideshow wallpapers you have to allow full access of personalization settings which is not ideal.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:01 PM