none
Recover to External Hard Drives For Offsite Storage? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I was just wondering how many people are recovering their DPM backups to an external hard drive using PowerShell, for offsite storage?

I had issues where the external drive would not get accepted as a valid volume and DPM would refuse to recover/restore, Files, VM's, BMR, to the external device connected through eSATA.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I understand DPM will not accept external drives into the storage pool, but does it restrict restoring to an external drive as well?

If that is the case I might have a pretty good solution for this but, just wanted to see if this is the expected behavior and if anyone else is having the same issues and wants to backup to external drives.

• Edited by m3koval Friday, August 31, 2012 4:11 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 12:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM can use any of the following for the storage pool:

• Direct attached storage (DAS)
    • Fibre Channel storage area network (SAN)
    • iSCSI storage device or SAN
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399365.aspx

In your case, you can expose the diskbased backup (replica) with DPMbackup.exe and backup it up with a third party tool:

1. Run DPMBackup.exe –replica
    2. Use Xcopy to copy the data from the C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy to the USB drive/external drive.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795753.aspx for more details.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:35 PM

All replies

• I have not experienced any issues doing this.  I have restored to USB (albiet slowly) attached storage before.

You didnt say what version of DPM you are using.  I was using 2010.

• Edited by Geaux-Tigers Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

DPM can use any of the following for the storage pool:

• Direct attached storage (DAS)
    • Fibre Channel storage area network (SAN)
    • iSCSI storage device or SAN
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399365.aspx

In your case, you can expose the diskbased backup (replica) with DPMbackup.exe and backup it up with a third party tool:

1. Run DPMBackup.exe –replica
    2. Use Xcopy to copy the data from the C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy to the USB drive/external drive.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795753.aspx for more details.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:35 PM
  • I have not experienced any issues doing this.  I have restored to USB (albiet slowly) attached storage before.

You didnt say what version of DPM you are using.  I was using 2010.

I am running on DPM 2012, and every time I switch out between the drives the restores fail, DPM says that it cannot find the volume F:\ the volume is present but DPM marks it for deletion in the data base. Have you swapped out to different usb drive or always use the same drive?
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:19 PM
  • I swap out between the drives and always had that issue, so what I have to do is run an update SQL query to set one drive mark for deletion to 0 and the one I am not using to 1 and switch before I run the restore scripts.

Commands are something like this: 

--HD1
      update tbl_IM_Volume set MarkedForDeletion = 1 where VolumeId = 'XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX'
      --HD2
      update tbl_IM_Volume set MarkedForDeletion = 0 where VolumeId = 'XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX'

Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Hi M3koval,

We have been having the same problem  with our DPM 2012 setup, the error when we restore reads.

DPM cannot detect the volume F:\ on server ______ (ID: 31085)

If the volume is present, this problem can be rectified by refreshing the state using the Get-Datasource -ProductionServer <ProductionServer> -Inquire cmdlet, then retry the current task

I even managed to get this Get-Datasource command working before the restore command and it made no difference.

Can you please explain how you ran these commands above?

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:56 AM
  • Hi M3koval,

We have been having the same problem  with our DPM 2012 setup, the error when we restore reads.

DPM cannot detect the volume F:\ on server ______ (ID: 31085)

If the volume is present, this problem can be rectified by refreshing the state using the Get-Datasource -ProductionServer <ProductionServer> -Inquire cmdlet, then retry the current task

I even managed to get this Get-Datasource command working before the restore command and it made no difference.

Can you please explain how you ran these commands above?

Dear all, we have the same problem here!

DPM cannot detect the volume I:\ on server ... (ID: 31085)

If the volume is present, this problem can be rectified by refreshing the state using the Get-Datasource -ProductionServer <ProductionServer> -Inquire cmdlet....

The thing is that it used to work up to now. but since 3-4 days now, it is not. The recovery target PC is the same as it was always, the external hdd the same. we also tried with a brand new hhd (same with previews one) and the messages are all repeating.

Please advise us what to do.

Thank you in advance. 

Monday, July 7, 2014 8:27 AM
  • We found that something has broken in DPM 2012 R2, possibly a recent update, so it no longer see's removable drives as places it can restore to, even when you are using the GUI.

Our workaround was to use the SysInternals tool Junction and create a mount folder on the C:\ drive of the server pointing to the attached USB drive.

Junction even re-establishes the mounted folder when we swap the USB drive, so there is now always a folder on C:\USBMountFolder that points to the USB, and DPM scheduled powershell restores work to that location everytime.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:20 AM