none
VMM 2019 cannot add S2D Storage Provider (Windows Server 2019 hyperconverged cluster) RRS feed

Answers

• I migrate SCVMM to a new VM with Windows Server 2019. I then removed the failed provider and re-added it and it worked.

Bye,

Dario Palermo

• Marked as answer by Dario Palermo Friday, July 26, 2019 5:07 PM
    Friday, July 26, 2019 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hello Dario,

Please make sure you run the following command on the VMM server, NOT S2D cluster nodes.

Update-ClusterFunctionalLevel

If it still doesn't work, is it possible that the Windows Server 2016 may need to be upgraded to Windows 2019?

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:31 AM
  • I'm not getting why I would do so but I'll play along...

The command Update-ClusterFunctionalLevel on the VMM server fails with error: "The cluster service is not running.  Make sure that the service is running on all" (as expected because the VMM server is not part of any cluster).

Adding the -Cluster <name_of_cluster> switch gets the job done but it's the same that doing it on the nodes and changed nothing, I'm still getting the provider error.

I don't think the underlying OS of the VMM server matters and cannot upgrade it at this time. Is there any doc from MS suggest this hypothesis?

Bye, Dario

Dario Palermo

Monday, July 22, 2019 10:03 AM
  • I migrate SCVMM to a new VM with Windows Server 2019. I then removed the failed provider and re-added it and it worked.

Bye,

Dario Palermo

• Marked as answer by Dario Palermo Friday, July 26, 2019 5:07 PM
    Friday, July 26, 2019 5:07 PM
  • I came across this same error trying to add a new 2019 S2D\SOFS to VMM 2016 CU7 running on Server 2016 DC.  Proceeded first with an upgrade of VMM to 2019 but the error persisted.  To save time I next moved forward with an in-place upgrade of 2016 DC to 2019 DC. 

After the upgrade I had to manually start SQL and VMM services (server may have needed a reboot) but I was then able to add the 2019 S2D storage to VMM 2019. 

Probably only needed Server to be on 2019 to add the S2D but at least VMM is now current and everything works.  

M Surmanian C3SD Inc.

Friday, August 23, 2019 2:33 PM