none
FAS ESP 5.3 Service Pack 5 Upgrade Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My FAST ESP 5.3  is still SP3.  I have patched Dev and Stage environment with service pack 5 with no issues.

I started with FAST ESP 5.3 Service Pack 5 upgrade for my Production Server today. I am getting below error while installation started in production. Any idea on this issue ? Any pointers to resolve this will help.

Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:11 AM

All replies

• Ankur,
    When you click on OK, does the installation proceed?. I have seen instances where clicking "OK" installation proceeds and finishes completely.

Would also recommend checking the fastinstall.log as the logs may contain more information.

Monday, November 17, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

I should have mentioned this point earlier. Installation is not proceeding when I click on OK. Will be checking fastinstall.log to see if I can find anything.

Anything else you can suggest on this issue ?

-Ankur

Please mark my answer if it helped you, I would greatly appreciate it.

Monday, November 17, 2014 5:30 PM
  • If you are installing on a multinode environment you can check for any network related issues /communication between the servers may be  restricted by firewall configuration.

However,install.log should give some insight.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:13 PM
  • Hi Ankur,

Are you still seeing this issue?  If so, the error “Could not find installed bytes on host” can occur when installing/patchingto a slow SAN or when a firewall blocks needed ports on the nodes.  Do you know there is a volume used by ESP, which resides on a slow SAN?  Also, can you verify that there is no firewall or port blocking software blocking ports 13000-17000 and 27000-27009 (the latter is used for the License Server by default, documented in the ESP configuration guide page 191)?  We have seen this error resolved in other environments by fixing an incorrectly configured firewall.  If there are firewalls or other port blocking software between the nodes, would it be an option to disable them and retry?

Other recommendations we make in the ESP Best Practices Guide:
          -     Verify that the system temp location has 2GB available. This will ensure that the installer has enough space to expand the install packages.

-       Verify that the hosts file contains IP, FQDN and HOSTNAME.

Include the fully qualified host name before the short entry in the hosts file. For example:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

80.91.35.43 myserver.example.com server

-     Verify forward and reverse nslookup resolution.

Forward: nslookup <FQDN> should return <IP>

Reverse: nslookup <IP> should return <FQDN>

-       The ESP installation user also needs Administrator privileges. You will need local or domain admin privileges to perform the install.

When checking the fastinstall.log, do you happen to see an ErrorCode 11 when trying to copy the license file?  I ask as I have seen that error occur, in conjunction with the “Could not find installed bytes on host” error.  If so, one can work around this issue by performing a manually copy this license file into your %fastsearch%\etc directory, or if this directory does not exist, manually create it and then copy the file.

Another possible cause is the JAVA_HOME being set incorrectly.  This could affect the successful copying of the license file. The JDK  installation is a product requirement separate from the is:javahome parameter setting. The Installation guide states that the Java Development Kit (JDK) must be pre-installed.

Can you let us know the exact version of java JDK that you are running?  Let us know your findings and if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service   & Support                            Microsoft| Services

Monday, December 29, 2014 9:56 PM