Microsoft Remote Desktop and small network, pc and macs RRS feed

• Question

• I have a machine running 8.1 pro with a connected printer, networked via an unmanaged switch to two macs in the network. One mac is a headless mac mini, the other is a mac pro i am using to access the pc via MRD. This network is not connected to the internet. I can ping the pc from the macpro, and can see files shared on the pc, but cannot get MRD to connect.

One network cable from the macpro is connected to the isp's router, the other to the switch connecting the three machines. That second connection has a self-assigned ip, and the internet connection on the macpro is not shared.

On the pc in ipv4 properties, the ip address is set manually. Ip address and subnet mask are there (169.254.94.25 and 255.255.0.0) and default gateway is blank. Workgroup is set up as private. Remote Desktop is enabled. Firewall seems to be right. Windows Network Diagnostic says no issues detected.

I've tried MDR settings with the ip address of the pc in gateway and also without, leaving gateway blank and just using the name of the pc with the same result: "Unable to connect to remote PC. Please verify Remote Desktop is enabled,..."

The switch and cables are good. If I connect the switch to the router and change the ipv4 address to automatic, I can connect to the PC with MRD.

Any suggestions? Is there a setting I'm missing? I've searched the Microsoft site for help but find only the most general instructions, which I think I've followed.

I've asked this question on the Windows Web and Network discussion and was advised to post it here by the support engineer.

Monday, December 15, 2014 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hello JAS42,

What is the IP address in the situation that you can connect to the PC with MRD when connect the switch to the router and change the ipv4 address to automatic?
    Have you tried the use the static IP address?

Please check if the IP address that you can’t use MRD to connect to the PC is 169.254.x.x.
    As I mentioned, we can’t use the 169.254.x.x IP address to communicate.
    Please connect to the DHCP-enabled router and try to use the command ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew in Windows to renew the IP and check if we can have the normally IP address.

Additionally, we could use the command telnet to check if we can connect to the remote desktop port 3389.
    Please contact the apple support to check if we can check the connect from the MAC mini.
    https://discussions.apple.com/community/desktop_computers/mac_mini
    Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:56 AM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hello JAS42,

If my understanding is right, one network cable from MAC pro is connect to the switch and the Windows 8.1 PC is connect to the switch too, and the IP setting in the Windows 8.1 is ‘(169.254.94.25 and 255.255.0.0) and default gateway is blank’.

If a DHCP server cannot be found or does not respond after one minute, the DHCP client checks the settings on the Alternate Configuration tab of the properties of the TCP/IP protocol.
    If Automatic private IP address is selected, the DHCP client auto-configures its IP address and subnet mask by using a selected address from the Microsoft-reserved Class B network, 169.254.0.0, with the subnet mask 255.255.0.0.

Does the switch have the dhcp function?

What is the network setting in the MAC pro? We could manually configure the IP settings of Windows 8.1 network connection and the connection in the MAC to the switch in the same subnet, and then check if the issue still exists.

For more information about subnet, please take a look at the following article.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958832.aspx

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Hello

Thank you for your response.

The switch is a Trendnet TEG-S50G ver. 4.0, unmanaged. I do not know if it has DHCP functions.

The settings on the Mac Pro are:

"Ethernet 1 has a self-assigned IP addrss and will not be able to connect to the internet".

Configure IPv4: Using DHCP

IP Address: 169.254.181.91

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

The IP address of the mac mini is 169.254.191.91.

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Hello JAS42,

As I mentioned in the last reply, if a DHCP server cannot be found or does not respond after one minute, the DHCP client checks the settings on the Alternate Configuration tab of the properties of the TCP/IP protocol.

If Automatic private IP address is selected, the DHCP client auto-configures its IP address and subnet mask by using a selected address from the Microsoft-reserved Class B network, 169.254.0.0, with the subnet mask 255.255.0.0.

The IP addresses of MAC and Windows 8.1 connected to switch are 169.254.x.x. We can’t use this kind of IP address to communicate.

Please check if you can enable the DHCP function in switch, we could contact the manufacturer to confirm.

Additionally, we could manually configure the IP settings of Windows 8.1 network connection and the connection in the MAC to the switch in the same subnet, and then check if the issue still exists.

The IP addresses can be 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3. The mask can be 255.255.255.0.

Best regards,

Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN

Monday, December 22, 2014 2:35 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

I have tried various settings and various methods, including changing the various network settings on the pc, changing the various settings on the mac pro as well as using a router with dhcp instead of the switch, but find that nothing enables me to connect to the pc using microsoft remote desktop on the mac to access the pc in a network not connected to the internet. The only connection method which does work here is as I described in my first post. I have looked at the support pages provided by Microsoft and find them to be offering only the most general directions or applying only to operating systems earlier than the current 8.1. At this point, absent a clear path towards achieving a working setup I am compelled to abandon the effort. Unfortunately this means this pc will give me much less service than I had hoped it would.

• Edited by JAS42 Monday, December 22, 2014 10:09 PM
    Monday, December 22, 2014 7:06 PM
  • Hello JAS42,

What is the IP address in the situation that you can connect to the PC with MRD when connect the switch to the router and change the ipv4 address to automatic?
    Have you tried the use the static IP address?

Please check if the IP address that you can’t use MRD to connect to the PC is 169.254.x.x.
    As I mentioned, we can’t use the 169.254.x.x IP address to communicate.
    Please connect to the DHCP-enabled router and try to use the command ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew in Windows to renew the IP and check if we can have the normally IP address.

Additionally, we could use the command telnet to check if we can connect to the remote desktop port 3389.
    Please contact the apple support to check if we can check the connect from the MAC mini.
    https://discussions.apple.com/community/desktop_computers/mac_mini
    Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:56 AM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 1:50 AM