none
FRS to DFSR Migration - /GetMigrationState Seemingly Returning False State Status

Question

• Hello,

I am performing a migration of sysvol from FRS to DFSR on two Server 2012 R2 domain controllers and one Server 2012 domain controller.  The domain functional level is set to Server 2008 R2.  The two 2012 R2 DCs are at the main office, the Server 2012 DC is at a remote site connected via site to site VPN.  Prior to beginning the migration I reviewed multiple articles and videos to be sure everything was in order. 

After applying the dfsrmig /SetGlobalState 1 command on the PDC emulator everything seemed to be going fine.  Within a few minutes the local DCs had created a SysVol_DFSR folder, had recorded an eventID 8014 indicating successful advancement to the 'PREPARED' state, had created a DFSR-GlobalSettings entry under System in ADUC, etc.  About 30 minutes later the remote DC was also giving all these same signs of having successfully advanced to the 'PREPARED' state. 

The problem that I'm having is that running dfsrmig /GetMigrationState on the PDC emulator returns results indicating that the remote DC is still at the 'Start' state as indicated below at the bottom of this post.  It is now well over three hours since the remote DC generated the DFS event log 8014 indicating that it had successfully advanced to the PREPARED state.

At this point I'm at a loss as to why dfsrmig /GetMigrationState is still indicating that the remote DC is at the START state when every indication on that DC itself suggests it is at the PREPARED state.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/suggestions anyone might have as to how to further diagnose this matter.

Thank You,

Dale

C:\Windows\system32>dfsrmig /getmigrationstate

The following domain controllers have not reached Global state ('Prepared'):

Domain Controller (Local Migration State) - DC Type

===================================================

VDC-EAFR ('Start') - Writable DC

Migration has not yet reached a consistent state on all domain controllers.

State information might be stale due to Active Directory Domain Services latency.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:40 PM

All replies

• Might look through this one.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/7730f4e2-c5f2-4c21-bcde-c30c5d25ef9a/migrating-sysvol-to-dfsr-one-server-stuck-when-using-getmigrationstate-but-it-looks-ok-locally?forum=winserverDS

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:01 PM
  • Hi

Refer these;

SYSVOL Migration Series: Part 3 – Migrating to the ‘PREPARED’ state

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2008/03/05/sysvol-migration-series-part-3-migrating-to-the-prepared-state/

SYSVOL Migration Series: Part 2 – Dfsrmig.exe: The SYSVOL migration tool

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2008/02/14/sysvol-migration-series-part-2-dfsrmig-exe-the-sysvol-migration-tool/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:08 PM
  • Dave / Burak,

Thank you for your replies.  I had read one or both of the articles you had referenced and was going to revisit them this morning.  Before doing so I decided to try another dfsrmig /getmigrationstate on the PDC emulator.  To my surprise, this morning, the status indicated all domain controllers were now at the Prepared state (as shown at the bottom of this post). 

For what it's worth, before my original post, I had tried restarting both the remote DC and later the PDC emulator, had tried a forced polling command, etc. in the hope that one of these would trigger the detection of the fact that the remote DC was in fact at 'Prepared' status.  This was about three hours after the event id 8014 in the event log on the remote DC, indicating a successful change to the Prepared state.

For anyone who stumbles upon this thread and is having the same issue, it may be a case of simply waiting it out.

Again, thank you for your input.

Dale

C:\Windows\system32>dfsrmig /getmigrationstate

All domain controllers have migrated successfully to the Global state ('Prepared').

Migration has reached a consistent state on all domain controllers.

Succeeded.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:41 PM
  • That's good news. I just did this here about a month ago and the states advanced rather quickly like 10 minutes or so but my sysvols were probably much smaller.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:51 AM