Internet Explorer will not open after disconnect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a client that works on a 2008 R2 terminal server. Yesterday the office lost internet connectivity, which dropped everyone from the TS connection. When one user logged back in she was unable to open any browser. The includes Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Internet Explorer will open a process, but a window will never appear and it does not show in running applications. She seems to be the only user affected. Logging off of the server and back on has no effect. Internet Explorer version is 11. I tried to run the iediag, but it seems to just keep running and have not really do anything. I ran ran an SFC /scannow on the server and it gave no errors. Since this is a virtual server we have it set to reboot every night and the reboot seems to fix her issue. The problem seems to happen to her every time there is an internet loss. Any advice on a solution?

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 12:28 PM

Answers

• Hi

Let her perform a remote from other device, reproduce the issue. This can help us to find out which part is wrong. If the issue still persists on other machine, try clear her cached user profile from the terminal server, then log in and check again. Normally this issue could be caused by add-ons or widget such as flash components called by browser process. If it is no responding, the process might wait forever. These application data might store in user profile appdata.  That’s might also why only one user affected.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 7, 2015 2:26 AM
  • will open a process, but a window will never appear and it does not show in running applications.

Sounds like the "chrome" task was started but a tab task was blocked.  I would use ProcMon filtering on Operation Begins with Process (or just the Process & Threads event class).  Or perhaps there would be some Event log entries you could use to test this hypothesis?  Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, August 7, 2015 11:01 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi dracotone,

quoting from a later thread (but only guessing).

Please check solution in this blog to delete this dat file for sparing space.

C drive space is using up on terminal server after upgrading to IE10 or IE11
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2014/01/17/c-drive-space-is-using-up-on-terminal-server-after-upgrading-to-ie10-or-ie11.aspx

IE10 introduced web storeage, which allows websites to store information for a website on a client computer's hard drive. When IE10 or 11 is installed on a client machine, an additional 100 mb of disk space is allocated. You can manage web storeage from Tools>Internet Options>General tab, Browsing History section, 'Settings' button, caches and databases tab.

Compare the troublesome client machines' profile with that of working machines.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:23 AM
  • Thanks for the comment, but I don't understand how your solution is relevant. There are no disk space issues on the terminal server. Also, the user has no trouble when she is on her local machine. This only happens when she connects back into the server. All users login to the same server, so there is nothing to compare or contrast. I had actually already come across the linked article. Not the same issue, I'm afraid.
    • Edited by dracotone Saturday, August 1, 2015 7:50 PM
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 7:48 PM
  • Anyone else have any input?
    Monday, August 3, 2015 8:20 PM
  • Hi

Let her perform a remote from other device, reproduce the issue. This can help us to find out which part is wrong. If the issue still persists on other machine, try clear her cached user profile from the terminal server, then log in and check again. Normally this issue could be caused by add-ons or widget such as flash components called by browser process. If it is no responding, the process might wait forever. These application data might store in user profile appdata.  That’s might also why only one user affected.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 7, 2015 2:26 AM
  • will open a process, but a window will never appear and it does not show in running applications.

Sounds like the "chrome" task was started but a tab task was blocked.  I would use ProcMon filtering on Operation Begins with Process (or just the Process & Threads event class).  Or perhaps there would be some Event log entries you could use to test this hypothesis?  Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, August 7, 2015 11:01 PM
    Answerer