External SATA USB drive not playing fair... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 1TB Samsung SATA drive, that was installed in my PC.  The PC is going, and I've now put the SATA into an external USB enclosure.  Everything was installed, wired up, connected and plugged in.  The drive was found OK.

It showed up as a removable drive, with the safe to remove icon in systray, and appeared in explorer.  I was able to access it, no problems.  It's partitioned into three drives, and I copied data from two of the partitions onto a NAS drive.  However, after powering down the laptop and the drive I can no longer get it to be recognised in Vista.

The lights come on on the front of the drive enclosure, so there's power getting to it.  But, it doesn't show up.

It doesn't show up in the 'Disk drives' section of Device Manager.  I can't see it anywhere else in device manager.  I can't see it in explorer.  As far as I know, from what Vista is telling me...it doesn't exist.  However, I'm sitting looking at the drive just now.  It's connected and plugged in.  But nothing.

So, has anyone any ideas why this is happening?  What can I do to get the drive to show?  Where should I be looking?

Friday, August 22, 2014 10:39 PM

All replies

• You may want to reach out to a data recovery service/company. Expect to spend few hundred bucks

Sam Boutros, Senior Consultant, Software Logic, KOP, PA http://superwidgets.wordpress.com (Please take a moment to Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, where applicable)

Friday, August 22, 2014 11:25 PM