Request for advice on App-V 4.6 fault tolerance for publishing RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to ask for help from the good folks here, who have (a lot!) more App-V experience. I was handed my organisations App-V environment with no training or prior experience a few months back, and although I know more than I did before, other roles eat into my study time. So, I'd like to ask your advice:

We are moving to Citrix. We have three physically seperate Citrix farms, the idea being that each covers a seperate region & provides fault tolerance should one farm become unavailable. Call them Farms 1,2 & 3.

Our App-V 4.6 infrastructure consists of one Managment server that publishes apps to all three farms, located in Farm 1. Farms 2 & 3 only have streaming servers. Clients are set to refresh apps on login, are configured to use the local server for streaming, & the publishing server in Farm 1.

First question: I believe this means if Farm 1 is inaccessible, clients on Farms 2 & 3 will not receive their apps at all - is this correct? (Our Citrix VDI's are set back to a default image on user logoff).

Second Question:  Is there a way to clone the publishing server to farms 2 & 3, so that changes made on farm one will replicate to 2 & 3, but they will operate independantly of each other?

NLB is not the best option for us, as I do not want any load balancing between farms, only fault tolerance for Publishing. Likewise with failover clusters, as due to in-house concerns I need to keep all three farms independant, save for replication of changes (eg, new apps published.)

I have been looking into setting up extra publishing servers & mirroring the App-V SQL database to Farms 2 & 3:

http://stealthpuppy.com/app-v-faq-22-do-i-need-to-backup-the-app-v-management-server/

If that is not recommended, any advice on a suggested route? As ever, thanks for your time!

Friday, December 27, 2013 4:09 PM

Answers

• Have you considered using mirroring?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff660790.aspx

I once worked for a client who used multiple Management servers. We had a tool which would allow us to pick the regions we wanted to deploy to, it would then ensure our applications replicated from the master content share to those regions shares. Since in 4.6, the App-V Management Console is an MCC Snap-in. You can connect to multiple Management Servers in the one window. At the time we were just manually importing the applications into each Management Server as we saw fit and of course each clients configuration was pointing to the correct share and server. It worked well but only because we had so few Management Servers to manage. But that was also to meet the needs of the apps actually being used by the end users in those locales so it might be overkill for what you want.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, December 27, 2013 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, if there is no communication to the site of the management server the users would not receive new applications. If you have persistant profiles and pre-cached the applications they would still operate in offline mode with whatever applications that they have already had provisioned.

There isn't any built in functionality for to replicate things. SQL Mirroring is only intended for fault tolerance, not maintaining three instances.

Potentially you could setup a schedule to automate a complete migration for the database and grant the "site" specific server access for each site;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg252515.aspx

App-V 4 is horrible from a scalability perspective and performs extremely poorly in a scaled out environment with the native infrastructure. I would leverage other techniques  - see the App Deploy and Publish tool from TmUrgent as an example of getting rid of the legacy infrastructure when using App-V 4.6

http://www.tmurgent.com/appv/index.php/resources/tools

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, December 27, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Have you considered using mirroring?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff660790.aspx

I once worked for a client who used multiple Management servers. We had a tool which would allow us to pick the regions we wanted to deploy to, it would then ensure our applications replicated from the master content share to those regions shares. Since in 4.6, the App-V Management Console is an MCC Snap-in. You can connect to multiple Management Servers in the one window. At the time we were just manually importing the applications into each Management Server as we saw fit and of course each clients configuration was pointing to the correct share and server. It worked well but only because we had so few Management Servers to manage. But that was also to meet the needs of the apps actually being used by the end users in those locales so it might be overkill for what you want.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, December 27, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions - I am looking at mirroring now.

(Apols for the delay in responding - i found myself unexpectedly away from the 'net for a while.)

Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:58 PM