none
Report output changed to a summary RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've been generating reports in Project 2010 Standard without issue for some time now.  Today I tried to generate a tasks in progress report and instead got a one page summary.  Dates, duration, work, costs, task status, resource status; not the familiar list of tasks.  All of the Current reports generate this same one page status.  

    What happened?

    Thanks in advance,

    Jason

    • Moved by keith.linModerator Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:42 AM It is about the Project Pro report question.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:36 PM

All replies

  • Hi Jason,

    The Tasks in Progress Report uses the Entry table as the basis of the report.  When you view you task list do you see all tasks or just summary?  Try expanding all tasks (View tab > Outline > All tasks).  Does that help?

    Julie

    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:13 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Jule,

    With all the tasks expanded it still gives a summary report.  I've attached a screenshot for clairty.

    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:22 PM
  • This looks like the Project Summary report - not the Tasks in Progress report.  Which report are you trying to run?

    Does this occur with all project files or just one?  Try copying the Tasks in Progress report from Global using the Organizer.

    What service pack is applied to Project 2010, please?  Any Cumulative Updates?

    There was an issue with custom reports not printing correctly but it was fixed in SP-1.

    Saturday, March 16, 2013 5:35 PM
    Moderator
  • This only occurs with one project.  I noticed, when comparing to a project with working reports, that the options when you press Edit are different.  Under Current Activity Reports, Edit, there are only font options; unlike the other project where the usual options were present.

    I'm running version (14.0.6023.1000) SP1 MSO (14.0.6129.5000).  Windows updates are blocked by my IT department so I can't determine if I'm on the latest version.

    Monday, March 18, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Jason,

    Pardon me for jumping in. Since you have SP1 installed you DO have the latest update for Project 2010. The only other type of updates are cumulative updates and those are compilations of hotfixes released to address specific issues. The downside of hotfixes is that they are not fully tested.

    Just to rule out the possibility of file corruption try saving as XML and then re-opening in Project. Note: you will lose any custom formatting through this process.

    John

    Monday, March 18, 2013 4:03 PM
  • John,

    Thanks for jumping in.  Saving as an XML and then importing back into project restored the reports.  I did lose my formatting and a half dozen timelines.  Is there any way around this?

    If not, I'm going to end up saving to an XML every time I want a report.  The formatting and timelines were extensive.

    Thanks,

    Jason


    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Hi Jason,

    You should not have to save as XML again.  The saving as XML fixed the corruption in the file.  I'm not sure what caused the corruption. 

    Julie

    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:18 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks, John.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:18 PM
    Moderator
  • Julie,

    Wild shot in the dark.

    John

    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Jason,

    You're welcome. Like Julie said, whatever happened to your file is a one time thing so there is no need to use XML as a regular part of your process.

    John

    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:10 PM
  • :-) 

    I know better than that, John.

    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:20 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Julie and John,

    Thanks for your help.  What I means by going back and forth is that, restoring all the formatting to my project will likely take longer than saving to an XML to generate the report whenver I need one.  So I was going to continue to work in the corrupted project and generate the report once a week.

    Thanks again,


    Jason

    Friday, March 22, 2013 1:24 PM
  • You're welcome Jason.  I understand the concern about losing the custom formatting - but I would have more concerns about working with a file you think is corrupt.

    You should be able to re-do the custom formatting once in the project file you created from the XML file and should be able to use that file without having to save as XML (and losing your formatting) again.

    Julie

    Friday, March 22, 2013 2:41 PM
    Moderator
  • Jason,

    You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

    Obviously it's up to you to use whatever process you think is best but I'm in full agreement with Julie, continuing to use a corrupt file is not the best approach. It is highly likely the corruption will get worse and you could end up with an unusable file. Then what?

    John

    Friday, March 22, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Jason,

    In your pre-xml file, open custom fields and evaluate every formula to assure that you need the custom field and it does what you want it to do. Project 2010 seems to get unstable with only a moderate amount of customization.

    After you initially open from xml, open the pre-xml version, open Organizer, change Global to the xml, so that you have xml customization next to  pre-xml.

    On the pre-xml side, select everything and copy it to the xml side.

    Repeat this for all tabs. You will get an error when trying to overwrite the currently visible view.

    Close Organizer, change views in the xml version, reopen Organizer and copy  whatever you didn't get the first time.

    Now, try to run your report; if it works, great, if not, redo xml, use Organizer to copy only your custom fields and the report you have been using and run the report. Let us know what happens.


    Dean Carroll

    Friday, March 22, 2013 4:48 PM